Find the inverse of the polynomial.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 3K views
jrjack
Messages
111
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Find [itex](f^{-1})'(a)[/itex] of: [itex]f(x)=\sqrt{x^{3}+x^{2}+x+22}[/itex] ; a=5.

Homework Equations



[tex](f^{-1})'(a)=\frac{1}{f'((f^{-1})(a))}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



Well, I know to find an inverse: I need to set the equation equal to y, solve for x, then swap x and y. But I don't know how to solve this for x.
I have been searching the internet for a lesson on this type of problem but I am not finding anything.
I can find the derivative, but I don't think that helps me here.
[tex]f'(x)=\frac{1}{2}({x^{3}+x^{2}+x+22})^{-\frac{1}{2}}(3x^{2}+2x+1)[/tex]
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jrjack said:

Homework Statement



Find [itex](f^{-1})'(a)[/itex] of: [itex]f(x)=\sqrt{x^{3}+x^{2}+x+22}[/itex] ; a=5.

Homework Equations



[tex](f^{-1})(a)=\frac{1}{f'((f^{-1})(a))}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



Well, I know to find an inverse: I need to set the equation equal to y, solve for x, then swap x and y. But I don't know how to solve this for x.
I have been searching the internet for a lesson on this type of problem but I am not finding anything.
I can find the derivative, but I don't think that helps me here.
[tex]f'(x)=\frac{1}{2}({x^{3}+x^{2}+x+22})^{-\frac{1}{2}}(3x^{2}+2x+1)[/tex]

Don't try to find a general formula for the inverse. It's way too hard. You only need the value of the inverse at a=5. What's f^(-1)(5)? It's perfectly ok to guess.
 
Well, [tex]f(5)=\sqrt{177}\approx13.304[/tex]
So, is the inverse 1/13.304, but then what is the derivative of the inverse?

Or the inverse of the derivative? at a=5[tex]f'(x)=\frac{1}{2}({x^{3}+x^{2}+x+22})^{-\frac{1}{2}}(3x^{2}+2x+1)[/tex]
[tex]f'(5)=\frac{66}{2\sqrt{177}}[/tex]
[tex](f^{-1})'(5)=\frac{2\sqrt{177}}{66}\approx\frac{13}{33}[/tex]
I'm not really sure of the correct guessing process.
 
My choices were 2/3, 5/3, 4/3, or 7/3. I guessed 2/3, but was wrong and the correct answer was 5/3. My guessing needs work.
 
jrjack said:
Well, [tex]f(5)=\sqrt{177}\approx13.304[/tex]
So, is the inverse 1/13.304, but then what is the derivative of the inverse?

Or the inverse of the derivative? at a=5[tex]f'(x)=\frac{1}{2}({x^{3}+x^{2}+x+22})^{-\frac{1}{2}}(3x^{2}+2x+1)[/tex]
[tex]f'(5)=\frac{66}{2\sqrt{177}}[/tex]
[tex](f^{-1})'(5)=\frac{2\sqrt{177}}{66}\approx\frac{13}{33}[/tex]
I'm not really sure of the correct guessing process.

To find f^(-1)(5) you want to find a value of x such that f(x)=5. As you said, f(5)=sqrt(177). So that's not it. f(0)=sqrt(22). That's not 5 either. Put some more values into f(x) and see if you can get it to come out 5.
 
jrjack said:
f(1)=5

Ok, so f^(-1)(5)=1. That's the f^(-1)(a) in your formula, right?
 
In this formula?[tex](f^{-1})(a)=\frac{1}{f'((f^{-1})(a))}[/tex]
[tex](f^{-1})(a)=\frac{1}{f'(1)}[/tex]
then
[tex]f'(1)=\frac{1}{2}(25)^{-\frac{1}{2}}(6)[/tex]
equals 3/5, and the inverse is 5/3.

So, is this the way I should go about these kind of problems?
 
jrjack said:
In this formula?[tex](f^{-1})(a)=\frac{1}{f'((f^{-1})(a))}[/tex]
[tex](f^{-1})(a)=\frac{1}{f'(1)}[/tex]
then
[tex]f'(1)=\frac{1}{2}(25)^{-\frac{1}{2}}(6)[/tex]
equals 3/5, and the inverse is 5/3.

So, is this the way I should go about these kind of problems?

Yes. That's the way to go. If a function is hard or impossible to invert, they'll probably make it easy to guess a specific value of the inverse, like in this problem.

BTW your formula should read (you're missing a prime)

[tex](f^{-1})'(a)=\frac{1}{f'((f^{-1})(a))}[/tex]
 
I am still a little confused, but thank you very much for your help.

I need to find and practice another one of these.