Find the Limit, if it exists.limx→ 2 x^2+7x-18

• Thread starter surferbarney0729
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the limit as x approaches 2 of the given polynomial is 11. This is because after factoring the numerator, the (x-2) terms cancel each other out, leaving a constant value of 11. This means that no matter how close x gets to 2, the value of the polynomial will always approach 11.
surferbarney0729
Find the Limit, if it exists.limx→ 2x^2+7x-18

Find the Limit, if it exists.

lim
x→ 2

x^2+7x-18
x-2

I know the answer is 11, but I am confusing myself on how 11 became the answer. My textbook is worthless and I need a dumbed down reason as to how 11 became the answer.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

swoodward said:
Find the Limit, if it exists.

lim
x→ 2

x^2+7x-18
x-2

I know the answer is 11, but I am confusing myself on how 11 became the answer. My textbook is worthless and I need a dumbed down reason as to how 11 became the answer.

Thanks

The Attempt at a Solution

Factor the numerator.

According to the rules of this Forum, you need to show some effort before we can give much help.

I suggest that you start by factoring the polynomial in the numerator. This should be easy because ___ is a root (fill in the blank).

My mistake, I should have not over thought that one.

factor the polynomial is what I was missing for some reason

(x+9)(x-2),

(x-2)'s factor and

(2+9) is how 11 is formed

You mean the (x- 2)'s cancel, not "factor". And that is true as long as x is NOT 2. Fortunately, the limit, as x approaches 2, is not dependent upon the value at x= 2.

Thanks for all your help. Pardon my mistakes in wording. I do know the difference in how things are worded is vital to the cumulative world of higher math. I am teaching myself calculus through a textbook and some e-calculus website in hopes of getting familiar with it before entering college again after 8 years in the Marines.

Love the help and the website.

Thanks again

1. What is a limit?

A limit is a fundamental concept in calculus that describes the behavior of a function as the input approaches a specific value. It represents the value that the function approaches, but may or may not actually reach, at that specific input.

2. How do you find the limit of a function?

To find the limit of a function, you need to evaluate the function at different values approaching the given input. This can be done by creating a table of values or using algebraic techniques such as factoring or simplifying the function.

3. What does it mean if a limit exists?

If a limit exists, it means that the function approaches a specific value as the input approaches a given value. This value is called the limit and can be either a finite number or positive or negative infinity. If the limit does not exist, it means that the function has different values at different points around the given input.

4. How do you determine if a limit exists?

The limit of a function exists if the function approaches the same value from both the left and right sides of the input. This can be determined by evaluating the function at values approaching the input from both sides and seeing if the values approach the same number or if there is a jump or discontinuity in the function.

5. Can you use any value for the input when finding a limit?

No, the input must be a specific value or a value that the function approaches as it gets closer to the specific value. This is typically denoted by the notation "x → a", where "a" is the specific value that the function is approaching.