Find the magnitude of the velocity of the canoe relative to the river

In summary, the canoe has a velocity of 0.420 m/s southeast relative to the earth. The river is flowing at a speed of 0.550 m/s east relative to the earth.
EaGlE
A canoe has a velocity of 0.420 m/s southeast relative to the earth. The canoe is on a river that is flowing 0.550 m/s east relative to the earth.

A.) Find the magnitude of the velocity of the canoe relative to the river.

B.) Find the direction of the velocity of the canoe relative to the river. Express your answer as an angle measured south of west.

ok first thing i did was drew a picture, cause i don't get the question.

to find the unknown side(vector Y) i did

0.550^2 + Y^2 = 0.420^2

Y = 0.355m/s

i thought that vector Y was unknown because it gave the southeast side, which is the longest side right? and it also gave the east side, which is vectory X.

and for B.) arctan(0.355/0.550) = 32.84 degrees

well that's all i did so far, i don't even know if either of them is correct. i really doubt that any of them are correct, because it seemed to easy.

Physics news on Phys.org
While you say "vector", you are treating Y as a number. In other words, you are assuming that the motion of the canoe "relative to the river" is due south and, from the wording of the question, I don't believe that's true. In fact, using the equation you give, 0.550^2 + Y^2 = 0.420^2, you get Y^2= -.1261 which is impossible.
Suppose the motion of the canoe, relative to the river, is v m/s at angle θ east of n. Drawing your picture (always a good idea) you should have a triangle (NOT a right triangle) with one angle 45 degrees and the other θ degrees (the third is, of course 180-45- &theta) and two lengths .420 and .55. The unknown side is opposite the known 45 degree angle so you can use the "cosine law" to find its length and then use the "sine law" to find θ.

HallsofIvy said:
While you say "vector", you are treating Y as a number. In other words, you are assuming that the motion of the canoe "relative to the river" is due south and, from the wording of the question, I don't believe that's true. In fact, using the equation you give, 0.550^2 + Y^2 = 0.420^2, you get Y^2= -.1261 which is impossible.
Suppose the motion of the canoe, relative to the river, is v m/s at angle θ east of n. Drawing your picture (always a good idea) you should have a triangle (NOT a right triangle) with one angle 45 degrees and the other θ degrees (the third is, of course 180-45- &theta) and two lengths .420 and .55. The unknown side is opposite the known 45 degree angle so you can use the "cosine law" to find its length and then use the "sine law" to find θ.

how did you get 45 degrees?

jdstokes said:
[itex]\begin{align}
\intertext{The vector equation}
\mathbf{v}_\mathrm{CR} &=\mathbf{v}_\mathrm{CE}-\mathbf{v}_\mathrm{RE}\\
\intertext{gives the velocity of the canoe relative to the river. You can decompose the right hand side of (1) into components, with $\mathbf{i}$ and $\mathbf{j}$ denoting the unit vectors pointing east and north, respectively}
\mathbf{v}_\mathrm{CR}& = \frac{v_\mathrm{CE}}{\sqrt{2}}\mathbf{i}-\frac{v_\mathrm{CE}}{\sqrt{2}}\mathbf{j}- v_\mathrm{RE}\mathbf{i}.
\end{align}[/itex]

[itex]\mathbf{v}_\mathrm{CR}& = \frac{v_\mathrm{CE}}{\sqrt{2}}\mathbf{i}-\frac{v_\mathrm{CE}}{\sqrt{2}}\mathbf{j}- v_\mathrm{RE}\mathbf{i}.
\end{align}[/itex]

^hmmm, why do i need to sqrt it by 2? and why is vector i and j the same?

Vc/r = Vc/e - Vr/e
vc/r = 0.420m/s - 0.55m/s

im sorry, but i am soo confused. and can you tell me how you got 45 degrees

ok i have my picture attached that i draw, what can i tell from the picture?

and how do you tell which vector velocity is i and which is j?

Attachments

• relative.jpg
    relative.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 1,624
Last edited:
Draw a picture.
"A canoe has a velocity of 0.420 m/s southeast relative to the earth. " while the river is running due east. Don't you see that that means that the path of the canoe is at 45 degrees to the river?

As for jdstokes' [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex], that is the ratio of the leg of 45-45-90 right triangle to the hypotenuse. Use the Pythagorean formula: a2+ b2= c2. In a 45-45-90 right triangle, the legs are of equal length, call it x. We have x2+ x2= 2x2= c2 so [itex](\frac{x}{c})^2= \frac{1}{2}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{x}{c}= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex].
Or you could use trigonometry: sin(45)= cos(45)= [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex].

Don't you see that that means that the path of the canoe is at 45 degrees to the river
i see how you got 45 degrees now, i been drawing the wrong picture !

As for jdstokes' [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex], that is the ratio of the leg of 45-45-90 right triangle to the hypotenuse. Use the Pythagorean formula: a2+ b2= c2. In a 45-45-90 right triangle, the legs are of equal length, call it x. We have x2+ x2= 2x2= c2 so [itex](\frac{x}{c})^2= \frac{1}{2}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{x}{c}= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex].
Or you could use trigonometry: sin(45)= cos(45)= [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex].

yea I am more comfortable with using trigonometry, makes more sense now.
A.) Find the magnitude of the velocity of the canoe relative to the river.
i got -.25301(i)^2 - .29698(j)^2 = C^2 (not sure if both should be negative)
c= .3980145 <-- it's the correct answer, so there's no need to check this answer.

ok for B.) Find the direction of the velocity of the canoe relative to the river. Express your answer as an angle measured south of west. isn't it just arctan(y/x).. or in this case arctan(j/i)... so... arctan(-29698/-.25301)= 89.9 Degrees. but it wants it wants the degrees in south of west. which direction is 89.9 degrees pointing? and how would i switch it to south of west.

i know my directions(North,East,South,West), i just don't know how the initial direction and how to convert it to something else.

1. What do you mean by "magnitude of the velocity"?

The magnitude of velocity refers to the speed or rate at which an object is moving without considering its direction. It is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a given direction.

2. How is the magnitude of velocity different from speed?

The magnitude of velocity takes into account the direction of the object's motion, while speed does not. For example, a car traveling at 60 mph eastward and a car traveling at 60 mph westward have the same speed but different magnitudes of velocity.

3. What is meant by "relative to the river" in this context?

"Relative to the river" means that the velocity of the canoe is being measured with respect to the motion of the river. In other words, it is the velocity of the canoe in relation to the velocity of the river.

4. How do you calculate the magnitude of the velocity of the canoe relative to the river?

The magnitude of the velocity of the canoe relative to the river can be calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squared velocities of the canoe and the river. This is known as the Pythagorean theorem.

5. Why is it important to find the magnitude of the velocity of the canoe relative to the river?

It is important to find the magnitude of the velocity of the canoe relative to the river because it allows us to understand the motion of the canoe in relation to the motion of the river. This information can be useful in navigation and in understanding the forces acting on the canoe.