Find the mass of ice that melts during the hit.

In summary, the sphere with mass 2kg and velocity 20m/s hits a block of ice and is stuck in it. The sphere has kinetic energy before collision, but none afterwards. The ice melts during the hit, and the answer to the question is 16.5g.
MaiteB

Homework Statement

The sphere of lead with mass 2kg and velocity 20m/S hits a block of ice and is stuck in it. Find the mass of ice that melts during the hit. The initial temperature of the sphere is 293 K and c=128J/kg*grade.

Homework Equations

m1v1=m2v2

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought to use the formula but what is the v of ice?

Physics news on Phys.org
The lead sphere had kinetic energy before collision, but none afterwards. How much kinetic energy was this? What form has this energy been converted to?
Set up an equation with the total initial and final energies set equal to each other.

PWiz said:
The lead sphere had kinetic energy before collision, but none afterwards. How much kinetic energy was this? What form has this energy been converted to?
Set up an equation with the total initial and final energies set equal to each other.
Ek=400J
Next should I write mcT=Ek? How can I find the difference in ice temperature?

MaiteB said:
Next should I write mcT=Ek? How can I find the difference in ice temperature?

The ice doesn't change temperature. It just turns to water at the same temperature.

Is that the right equation in this situation?

CWatters said:
The ice doesn't change temperature. It just turns to water at the same temperature.

Is that the right equation in this situation?
Hmmm, I think the initial temperature of the ice does matter. The question does not specify that the ice is at 0 degrees Celsius. If it is at any other lower temperature, some of the energy from the 400J would bring it to the melting point and the remaining would convert the ice to water (the latent heat of fusion), so the initial temperature will clearly affect the mass of ice that melts. I think the question is incomplete.

You are correct. I didn't notice the initial temperature of the ice wasn't specified.

I agree the question is incomplete. You can't solve it unless you assume the ice is at zero.

You had better get used to having incomplete data in life. Intelligent assumptions are a part of many problem solutions.

CWatters said:
You are correct. I didn't notice the initial temperature of the ice wasn't specified.

I agree the question is incomplete. You can't solve it unless you assume the ice is at zero.
The answer is 16.5 g, if it helps

So, what are all the sources of energy available to melt the ice?

insightful said:
So, what are all the sources of energy available to melt the ice?
The sphere with its energy

And what two types of energy are available in the lead shpere?

1. How do you find the mass of ice that melts during the hit?

The mass of ice that melts during the hit can be found by using the equation Q = m * L, where Q is the amount of heat absorbed, m is the mass of ice, and L is the latent heat of fusion for water. By measuring the amount of heat absorbed during the hit and knowing the latent heat of fusion for ice, the mass of ice can be calculated.

2. What factors affect the amount of ice that melts during the hit?

The amount of ice that melts during the hit can be affected by various factors including the temperature and velocity of the object hitting the ice, the duration of the hit, and the surface area of the ice being hit. Additionally, the type of ice (e.g. solid or crushed) and the composition of the object (e.g. metal or plastic) can also impact the amount of ice that melts.

3. Can the mass of ice that melts during the hit be predicted?

While the exact amount of ice that will melt during a hit cannot be predicted with 100% accuracy, it can be estimated by considering the factors mentioned above. By conducting experiments and collecting data, scientists can develop models to predict the amount of ice that will melt during a hit based on the specific circumstances.

4. How does the mass of ice that melts during the hit affect the surrounding environment?

The mass of ice that melts during the hit can have an impact on the surrounding environment. The sudden release of cold water from the melted ice can affect the temperature and ecosystem of the surrounding water. It can also contribute to changes in sea levels and ocean currents.

5. How does the mass of ice that melts during the hit relate to global warming?

The mass of ice that melts during the hit is not directly related to global warming. However, the melting of ice in general (whether it is from a hit or due to rising temperatures) can contribute to the overall melting of glaciers and ice sheets, which can lead to rising sea levels and other environmental impacts associated with global warming.