Find the size of the force due to wind and rolling friction

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the size of the force due to wind and rolling friction on a van traveling at 42.17mph. The graph provided shows a nonlinear relationship, but it is not expected to be read precisely. The slope over the entire range of the graph is used to calculate the acceleration, which is then used to find the force using F=ma. The weight of the van in lbs is given, but it is not necessary to incorporate it into the equations.
am08
[SOLVED] Force Problem

The total mass is 2300kg (weight = 5072lbs). Find the size of the force due to wind and rolling friction when the van speed is 42.17mph (1mph= 0.447m/s).

This is the graph: http://capa-new.colorado.edu/msuphysicslib/Graphics/Gtype12/prob09a_1004minivan.gif"

F = ma

a = (speed 2 - speed 1)/(Time 2 - Time 1)

Converted mph to m/s: a = (26.82 - 18.85)/(23) = 0.3465 m/s^2

Now F = (2300*0.3465) = 797 N

What did I do wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't do much wrong. Your graph looks a bit nonlinear, but I don't see how they would expect you to read much more than a rough estimate off of it. Is that really the statement of the problem? 42.17mph!? Four decimal places?

Last edited:
Take the slope over the entire range of the graph.

That's what I'm assuming... they gave me the weight in lbs. do I need to incorporate that into my equations in any way or is that just unnecessary/useless info.

ohhi thanks a lot !

What is wind force and how does it affect objects?

Wind force is the force exerted by the movement of air molecules. It can affect objects by pushing them in the direction of the wind, causing them to move or change direction.

How does wind force differ from rolling friction?

Wind force is a result of air molecules colliding with an object, while rolling friction is the resistance force between two surfaces in contact. Wind force is dependent on the object's shape and surface area, while rolling friction is dependent on the types of materials in contact.

What factors affect the size of the force due to wind and rolling friction?

The size of the force due to wind and rolling friction is affected by the speed and direction of the wind, the weight and shape of the object, and the type of surface the object is moving on.

How do you calculate the size of the force due to wind and rolling friction?

The force due to wind can be calculated using the formula F = 1/2 * p * v^2 * A * Cd, where p is the density of air, v is the wind speed, A is the object's projected area, and Cd is the drag coefficient. The force due to rolling friction can be calculated using the formula F = μ * N, where μ is the coefficient of rolling friction and N is the normal force between the object and the surface.

Can the force due to wind and rolling friction be reduced or eliminated?

The force due to wind and rolling friction cannot be completely eliminated, but it can be reduced by changing the object's shape or surface area, using lubricants to reduce friction, or by designing structures to minimize wind resistance.