1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the subgroup!

1. Dec 6, 2004 #1
    let p and q be distinct primes. suppose that H is a proper subset of integers and H is a group under addition that contains exactly 3 elements of the set
    { p,p+q,pq, p^q , q^p}.
    Determine which of the foll are the 3 elements in H
    a. pq, p^q, q^p

b. P+q, pq,p^q

c. p, p+q, pq

d. p, p^q, q^p

e. p, pq, p^q
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2004 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hint Euclid's algorithm: p^r and q^s are coprime so if H contains these two elements, then it contains 1, and hence is Z. Use this idea in several variations. Of course you could consider the group pZ
  4. Dec 7, 2004 #3
    thanks sir, but could you please elaborate further.
    i don't seem to get the idea...
  5. Dec 7, 2004 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If a group contains p, it contains np for all n in Z. So clearly e. forms the answer.

A group for instance cannot contain p and q if they are coprime and not be all of Z since there are a and b in Z such that ap+bq=1, hence the group contains all elements of Z.

And I tihnk you ought to ponder that for a while, cos I really have given you more information than I want to.
  6. Dec 7, 2004 #5

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How about thinking about an example if you cant' see it:

p=2 q=3

If 2 and 3 are in the group, then so is -2 (inverses) and hence, so is 3-2=1 (composition)

If 1 is in there so is 1+1+1+..+1= n (composition) and n was arbitrary, also -n is in there (inverses again)
  7. Dec 12, 2004 #6
    well...thanks a lot, sir!! i figured it out...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?