Find the upper bound on the relative speed of the Earth and the ether

In summary, the Michelson-Morley experiment used an interferometer with specific measurements and found a maximum fringe separation of 0.0022 fringes. Using the equation d = ((v^2)/(λc^2)) (L1 + L2), the upper bound on the relative speed of the Earth and the ether can be determined. This result is significant in understanding the relationship between the Earth and the hypothetical ether in the context of the experiment.
daleklama

Homework Statement

"The Michelson-Morley experiment was conducted using an interferometer with L1 = L2 = 40m, lambda = 632nm, and maximum fringe separation d = 0.0022 fringes.
Find the upper bound on the relative speed of the Earth and the ether, and clearly state the significance of the result in the context of the experiment."

Homework Equations

I'm going through all my Michelson-Morley notes and I found this equation:

d = ((v^2)/(λc^2)) (L1 + L2)

but I don't know if it's relevant!

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly I have no idea... I can't find anything on 'upper bound' in my notes, I'm totally stumped. If anyone could help me out or point me in the right direction that would be brilliant :) Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Not to worry, I think I have it worked out :) Thanks for reading!

1. What is the concept of "relative speed" in this context?

The relative speed between the Earth and the ether refers to the speed at which the Earth is moving relative to the hypothetical substance called ether, which was once believed to fill the entire universe and serve as a medium for the propagation of light.

2. How is the upper bound on the relative speed of the Earth and the ether determined?

The upper bound on the relative speed is determined by taking into account the speed of light, which is considered to be the maximum speed in the universe. Since the ether was believed to be the medium for the propagation of light, the upper bound on the relative speed is considered to be equivalent to the speed of light.

3. What role does the Michelson-Morley experiment play in finding the upper bound on the relative speed?

The Michelson-Morley experiment was conducted in the late 19th century to measure the relative motion of the Earth and the ether, but its results showed no evidence of such motion. This led to the development of the theory of relativity and the understanding that the upper bound on the relative speed between the Earth and the ether is equivalent to the speed of light.

4. Is the concept of ether still relevant in modern science?

No, the concept of ether has been largely abandoned in modern science. With the development of the theory of relativity and other scientific discoveries, it has been replaced with other explanations for the propagation of light and other phenomena once attributed to the ether.

5. How does the understanding of the upper bound on the relative speed affect our understanding of the universe?

The understanding of the upper bound on the relative speed between the Earth and the ether has greatly influenced our understanding of the universe. It has led to the development of the theory of relativity and the understanding that the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This has also opened up new avenues for scientific inquiry and exploration of the universe.