Find the upper bound on the relative speed of the Earth and the ether

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
daleklama
Messages
33
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



"The Michelson-Morley experiment was conducted using an interferometer with L1 = L2 = 40m, lambda = 632nm, and maximum fringe separation d = 0.0022 fringes.
Find the upper bound on the relative speed of the Earth and the ether, and clearly state the significance of the result in the context of the experiment."

Homework Equations



I'm going through all my Michelson-Morley notes and I found this equation:

d = ((v^2)/(λc^2)) (L1 + L2)

but I don't know if it's relevant!

The Attempt at a Solution



Honestly I have no idea... I can't find anything on 'upper bound' in my notes, I'm totally stumped. If anyone could help me out or point me in the right direction that would be brilliant :) Thank you!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Not to worry, I think I have it worked out :) Thanks for reading!