How Do You Calculate Wavelength from Frequency?

In summary, the question is asking to find the wavelength when a frequency of 99 MHZ is produced to a 60 m base. No information is given about velocity or time, but to find the time, 1/frequency can be used. The formula to find the wavelength is V=wavelength x frequency, with velocity being 3 x 10^8. By simplifying the units, the wavelength can be found by dividing 300 by the frequency in MHz. Using this, the wavelength is calculated to be 3.03 meters.
ProgressNation
I don't remember the question exactly because I saw it in my final exam and I'm confused and don't know how to solve it exactly, so here's the question:
99 MHZ (99000000 HZ) frequency is produced to a 60 m base, find the wavelength.
They didn't mention neither the velocity nor the time, and I know to find the time is to put 1/frequency. And does the velocity has the speed of light which is 3 x 10^8. Formula: V=wavelength x frequency
As I told you I don't remember the question exactly but it looks like what I wrote above.
I'm waiting for an answer as soon as possible.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
ProgressNation said:
produced to a 60 m base

What does that mean?

likewise, don't know what produced to a 60 m base means, doesn't make sense

wavelength is simply velocity of light / freq
cutting off a lot of 0000's ... 300 / freq (in MHz) = wavelength in metres

so 300 / 99 = 3.03m

Dave

Related to How Do You Calculate Wavelength from Frequency?

1. What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency?

The wavelength of a wave is inversely proportional to its frequency. This means that as the wavelength increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation: wavelength = speed of the wave / frequency.

2. How do you measure the wavelength of a wave?

The wavelength of a wave can be measured by finding the distance between two consecutive points on the wave that are in phase with each other. This can be done using a ruler or a measuring tape. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the wave's speed and frequency.

3. How does the medium affect the wavelength of a wave?

The medium through which a wave travels can affect its wavelength. In general, waves travel faster in denser mediums, resulting in a shorter wavelength. For example, sound waves travel faster in water than in air, leading to a shorter wavelength in water.

4. Can the wavelength of a wave change?

Yes, the wavelength of a wave can change when it enters a different medium or encounters an obstacle. The change in wavelength is caused by a change in the wave's speed. For example, when a light wave enters a glass medium, its speed decreases, causing its wavelength to decrease as well.

5. How is the wavelength of a wave related to its energy?

The wavelength of a wave is indirectly related to its energy. Waves with shorter wavelengths have higher frequencies, which means they carry more energy. This is why higher frequency electromagnetic waves, such as gamma rays and x-rays, are more energetic than lower frequency waves, like radio waves.