Find the Zeros of the Equation

• Thread starter Lord Dark
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation centers around a problem involving the equation (exp(x)/x^3)=2x+1 and attempts at solving it for the zeros without graphing. The responder suggests using the Lambert W function or numerical solutions, but notes that there is no algebraic method for solving this type of equation.
Lord Dark

Homework Statement

i have a problem i tried to solved about 3 days and i couldn't ... here it is :

(exp(x)/x^3)=2x+1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

((e^x)/(x^3))=2x+1 > e^x=2x^4+x^3 >> (x=ln(2x^4+x^3) or 2x^4+x^3-e^x=0) ,, is it possible to get the zeros from the 2 solutions without graphing ??

Physics news on Phys.org
There is not going to be any "algebraic" method of solving that. You might be able to put it in terms of the Lambert W function but that's probably not what you want. Generally speaking, equations that involve the unknown variable both inside and outside a transcendental function require either "special functions", such as the Lambert W, or numerical solutions, such as graphing.

thanks very much :)

Related to Find the Zeros of the Equation

What is the definition of "zeros" in an equation?

In mathematics, zeros (or roots) of an equation refer to the values of the variable that make the equation equal to zero.

How do you find the zeros of a linear equation?

The zeros of a linear equation can be found by setting the equation equal to zero and solving for the variable.

What is the difference between real and imaginary zeros?

Real zeros are values of the variable that exist on the number line, while imaginary zeros are complex numbers that involve the imaginary unit (i) and do not exist on the number line.

Can an equation have more than two zeros?

Yes, an equation can have any number of zeros, including zero itself. The degree of the equation determines the maximum number of possible zeros.

How are the zeros of a polynomial equation related to its graph?

The zeros of a polynomial equation are the x-intercepts of its graph. This means that they are the points where the graph crosses the x-axis.