Find time using stoichiometry

In summary, using stoichiometry, it would take approximately 9.3136 x 10^11 seconds to empty Lake Erie using a paper cone with a diameter of 2.75 inches and a height of 4 inches, assuming one cup is dumped out every 2 seconds. If three cups were dumped out every 2 seconds, it would take approximately 3.1045 x 10^12 seconds.
kato1
Lake Erie holds 116 cubic miles of water. Suppose you start dumping out the entire volume of Lake Erie using a cone cup. A typical cone cup has a diameter of 2.75 inches and a height of 4 inches. About how long would it take you to empty the lake if you could dump out one cup per 2 seconds? Use stoichiometry.
Work:

1 foot = 12 inches
1 mile = 5280 feet
1 cubic foot = 1728 cubic inches
1 cubic mile = 1.4720 x 10^11 cubic feet
1 cubic mile = 2.536 x 10^14 cubic inches

radius= 2.75/2= 1.375 inches
Volume of cone= h/3*(pi)r^2
= 4/3*(pi)(1.375)^2
= 7.9194 in^3

5280 ft/1 mile * 12 in/1 ft = 63,360 in/miles

Volume of Lake= 116 cubic miles * 63,360^3
=4.6568 * 10^11 cubic inches/miles

Note: I'm unsure how to find the time in this problem. Also, I'm not sure if my work above is correct. Thank you.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I have not checked your arithmetic but assuming it is correct dividing the volume of the lake by the volume of the paper cone gives the number of times you would have to fill the cone from the lake (I will try not to become distracted by wondering where you are going to dump the water!). You are told that you dump out one cone of water every 2 seconds so multiplying the number of times you need to dump out a cone by 2 gives the number of seconds it takes.

HallsofIvy said:
I have not checked your arithmetic but assuming it is correct dividing the volume of the lake by the volume of the paper cone gives the number of times you would have to fill the cone from the lake (I will try not to become distracted by wondering where you are going to dump the water!). You are told that you dump out one cone of water every 2 seconds so multiplying the number of times you need to dump out a cone by 2 gives the number of seconds it takes.

This is a bit of a stretch but do you know how the problem would differ if you had to dump out three cups per two seconds rather than one cup per one second.

1. What is stoichiometry?

Stoichiometry is the branch of chemistry that deals with the quantitative relationships between reactants and products in a chemical reaction.

2. How can stoichiometry be used to find time?

Stoichiometry can be used to find time by calculating the amount of reactant consumed or product formed over a period of time. This can then be used to determine the rate of the reaction and the time it takes for the reaction to occur.

3. What information is needed to use stoichiometry to find time?

To use stoichiometry to find time, you will need to know the balanced chemical equation for the reaction, the initial concentrations of reactants, and the volume of the reaction mixture. You may also need to know the temperature and pressure of the reaction.

4. Can stoichiometry be used for any type of reaction?

Stoichiometry can be used for any type of reaction, as long as the reaction is balanced and the initial concentrations of the reactants are known. It is a fundamental tool for understanding and predicting the outcomes of chemical reactions.

5. Are there any limitations to using stoichiometry to find time?

There are limitations to using stoichiometry to find time, as it assumes that the reaction is happening at a constant rate and that there are no side reactions or other factors that may affect the reaction rate. It also does not take into account any changes in temperature or pressure that may occur during the reaction.