1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find total resistance in a network

1. Sep 20, 2014 #1

Zondrina

Homework Helper

I can't get this last problem in the chapter. I am asked to find ##I_x## in the following network:

Screen Shot 2014-09-20 at 9.32.10 PM.png
    My first hunch was to apply KCL to the node above the ##2I_x## source:

##10 + 2I_x - \frac{V}{2} - 3 + I_x + \frac{V}{5} + \frac{V}{10} = 0##

Where I have assumed the voltage ##V## is across all components in parallel. From here I've tried various things, but to no avail.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2014 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

your v/5 term and your v/10 term add up to be Ix, but you've added them in again anyway. Not good.

can you compress the 10ma and 3ma sources down to one source and reduce all the resistors down to one resistor to get an expression for V that is only in terms of Ix and the total resistance?

That's probably too many hints already. You should be able to take it from there.

4. Sep 20, 2014 #3

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Thank you sir, every problem in chapter 2 is now complete (there was a lot in this chapter, > 100). I obtained ##I_x = - 1.5 mA##.

I can finally take it easy after all that, feels like an abyss in my brain right now. I owe you one.

5. Sep 20, 2014 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Glad to hear it.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted