Find two points on an ellpise that have horizontal tangent

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
zeion
Messages
455
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



The equation 5x^2 - 6xy + 5y^2 = 16 represents an ellipse.

Determine two points on the ellipse at which the tangent is horizontal.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I find the derivative of the equation:

(-10x + 6y) / (-6x + 10y) = 0 iff -10x + 6y = 0, so x = (3/5)y.
Then I sub x back into original equation and get y, I get y = +/- 1/(sqrt(2)), which is wrong.

What did I do wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
zeion said:
so x = (3/5)y.

This is correct...

zeion said:
Then I sub x back into original equation and get y, I get y = +/- 1/(sqrt(2)), which is wrong.

What did I do wrong?

Something with the back substitution into the original equation.

ehild