1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Find Van De Graaff charge?

1. Aug 12, 2018 at 11:06 AM #1

Albertgauss

Gold Member

Greetings,

Does anyone know of a way to measure the actual charge of a Van De Graaff generator, in Coloumbs?

One way I thought might be to measure the voltage potential around the generator, and calculate the charge from V = kQ/r, but would this work in just regular air? What obstacles would prevent me from finding V to get Q in regular air, if this method would not work?

Is there any way to control whether a Van De Graaff generator can be charged positive or negative?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2018 at 10:25 AM #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

4. Aug 14, 2018 at 7:34 AM #3

Albertgauss

Gold Member

I didn't know they had a capacitance meter. I suppose I should have realized that this technology is made. I can get one. Its going to be a few weeks before I can get one, so this method of determining the charge is going to take awhile, limited by the time it takes to find a capacitance meter.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted