1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find velocity, Calculus and rates of change

1. Oct 17, 2013 #1
    1. The displacement (in meters) of a particle moving in a straight line is given by the equation of motion s=[itex]\frac{1}{t^2}[/itex], where t is measured in seconds. Find the velocity of the particle at times t=a, t=1, t=2, and t=3.

2. Relevant equations

v=[itex]\frac{d}{t}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

The question says the d=[itex]\frac{1}{t^2}[/itex]

I plug that into V=[itex]\frac{d}{t}[/itex], getting s=[itex]\frac{1}{t^3}[/itex].

When I input t=a, 1, 2, and 3, I get [itex]\frac{1}{a^3}[/itex], 1, [itex]\frac{1}{8}[/itex], and [itex]\frac{1}{27}[/itex].

However, the textbook says that the answers are -[itex]\frac{2}{a^3}[/itex], -2, -[itex]\frac{1}{4}[/itex], and -[itex]\frac{2}{27}[/itex].

Where did it get the -2 from? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The formula you are using is the average velocity. In the problem, you're supposed to use the instantaneous velocity, ##\frac{ds}{dt}##. Your book should have examples of how to find the derivative of the displacement, s.

4. Oct 17, 2013 #3
    Thanks! According to my textbook, the equation for

instantaneous rates of change = lim x2→x1 [itex]\frac{f(x2)-f(x1)}{x2-x1}[/itex].

In my case would that mean the equation would be

[itex]\frac{Δd}{Δt}[/itex] = lim t2→t1 [itex]\frac{f(d2)-f(d1)}{t2-t1}[/itex] ?

How does that work into the question?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  5. Oct 18, 2013 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

$$v = ds/dt = \lim_{h \to 0}\frac{s(t + h) - s(t)}{h}$$

This formula is equivalent to the one in your book, with x2 = t + h and x1 = t.

Your function is s = s(t) = 1/t2.

So s(t + h) = ?
    And s(t) = ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted