Vertical Deflection in Ink-Jet Printer

In summary, an ink-jet printer utilizes charged plates to create a uniform electric field in which ink drops with a controlled amount of charge pass through. The vertical deflection of the ink drops is determined by the vertical velocity and time it takes to reach the paper, with the displacement being equal to the vertical velocity multiplied by time. It is important to read the problem carefully and make a drawing to fully understand the question and use the correct equations.
Alouette

Homework Statement

In an ink-jet printer, drops of ink are given a controlled amount of charge before they pass through a uniform electric field generated by two charged plates. If the electric field between the plates is 1.5x106N/C over a region 1.20cm long, and drops of mass 0.12nanograms enter the electric field region moving horizontally at 16m/s.

What is the vertical deflection between the point where it leaves the plates and where it strikes the paper, if the paper is 0.50cm from the end of the charged plates? Ignore other forces such as gravity and air resistance, and assume the field between the plates is vertical and constant, and drops abruptly to zero at the edge of the plates.

Homework Equations

a = F/m = qE/m

t = (.012)m/(16) m/s = 7.5x10^-4

Vertical velocity [Vv] = at

D = Do (starting displacement at end of plates) + (Vv*t')

The Attempt at a Solution

I found q to be 1.42x10^-16. and a turns out to be 1775. So Vv = a*t = 1.33

Then t' = (.50) cm/ (16) m/s^2 = 3.12x10^-4

Then multiplying Vv(t') and adding to Do, I got 9.16x10^-4 but this is wrong.

What have I done wrong? I followed the formulas didn't i?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How did you get the charge of the ink drops?

ehild

a = F/m = qE /m
a = q x 1.50x10^6N/C / 0.12^-12kg .. .. .. a = q (1.25^19) m/s² (1)

Time between plates .. t = 0.012m / 16m/s .. .. t = 7.5x10^-4 s (2)

Vertical displacement ..
d = ut + ½ at²
(5x10^-4)m = (0) + (½ x q (1.25x10^19) x (7.5x10^-4)²)

q = 2(5x10^-4) / (7.03x10^12) .. .. ►q = 1.42x10^-16 C

What is the 5x10-4 m? I do not find it in the problem text.

ehild

Oh I see why you ask. I didn't include it, but it was part of the first part of this question:

"How much charge on a drop is necessary to produce a vertical deflection of 0.50mm at the end of the electric field?"

So the 0.50 mm = 5x10^-4 m.

And with this newfound q, I used it in:

a=q(1.25x10^19) >> (1.42x10^-16)(1.25x10^19) = 1775

Alouette said:
What is the vertical deflection between the point where it leaves the plates and where it strikes the paper, if the paper is 0.50cm from the end of the charged plates?
I found q to be 1.42x10^-16. and a turns out to be 1775. So Vv = at = 1.33
Then t' = (.50) cm/ (17) m/s^2 = 2.94x10^-4
Then multiplying Vv(t') and adding to Do, I got 8.91x10^-4 but this is wrong.
Why did you use 17 m/s horizontal velocity?
Are you sure you have to add the displacement outside the plates to Do?

ehild

Oh my goodness, it's a typo! :( supposed to be 16 m/s as the problem states. But I just ran the numbers again, wrong still..I used 16 m/s because t' is the time to reach the paper. Is this wrong since it asks for the vertical deflection?

And Do, which = 0.50 mm from the first part, is the starting displacement of the plates. So someone suggested adding this to Vv * t' to get D, which is the displacement (deflection) I'm looking for.I vaguely understand the problem... am I just using the wrong formulas as I stated in my attempt at solution?

Last edited:
Alouette said:
Oh my goodness, it's a typo! :( supposed to be 16 m/s as the problem states. But I just ran the numbers again, wrong still..

I used 16 m/s because t' is the time to reach the paper. Is this wrong since it asks for the vertical deflection?
It is all right.

Alouette said:
And Do is starting displacement of the plates, so someone suggested adding this to (Vv x t') to get D, which is the displacement, or rather deflection, I'm looking for.

Read the text again. It asks the deflection from the point where the drops leave the plates. Te deflection is simply 1.33*t'. Do not add Do.

ehild

You are quite amazing, thank you for your help once again, I got the right answer!

It's so confusing learning the formulas they give us in class, and then when it comes to problems it's like we have to derive a whole new set...very frustrating.

So the deflection is the vertical velocity of the drop multiplied by time to reach the paper? Basically d=vt?

Alouette said:
It's so confusing learning the formulas they give us in class, and then when it comes to problems it's like we have to derive a whole new set...very frustrating.

So the deflection is the vertical velocity of the drop multiplied by time to reach the paper? Basically d=vt?

Yes, it is in this case. But you should add Do if they would ask the deflection from the place the ink would reach the paper without the electric field. Usually that is asked in problems like this one.

Always read the problem very carefully and make a drawing. You used the correct equations everywhere, but did not understand the question.

ehild

1. What is vertical deflection?

Vertical deflection is a measure of the displacement of an object or material in the vertical direction, typically caused by a force acting on the object.

2. How is vertical deflection calculated?

Vertical deflection can be calculated by dividing the displacement of an object in the vertical direction by its original height or length.

3. What causes vertical deflection?

Vertical deflection can be caused by a variety of factors, such as external forces, weight or load distribution, and structural design or material properties.

4. How is vertical deflection measured?

Vertical deflection can be measured using various instruments, such as displacement sensors, strain gauges, or laser displacement sensors, which can accurately measure the displacement of an object in the vertical direction.

5. Why is vertical deflection important in engineering?

Vertical deflection is important in engineering because it can affect the structural integrity and stability of a building or structure. Excessive vertical deflection can lead to structural failure or damage, making it crucial to calculate and monitor in engineering projects.