1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find Voltage in the following circuit

1. Oct 1, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

mcPKs.png

2. Relevant equations

nodal analysis, kvl, kcl, loop analysis?

3. The attempt at a solution

Can someone please tell me if my nodal equations look right?
    Did I redraw the circuit properly?
    Mainly I'm confused about how to treat that dependent current source at the top.

esxY8.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2011 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

The source at the top looks like a voltage source, not a current source.

4. Oct 1, 2011 #3
    But the initial problem has a current running across the top, which led me to think that it's a current source. Are you sure it's a voltage source? If so, I have absolutely no idea how the nodal equations will work...

5. Oct 1, 2011 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

I see the classic diamond shape of a controlled source and within it + and - designations for polarity. To me that says "voltage source". If it were a current source I'd expect to see an arrow inside. To be on the safe side check with your reference materials for your course, which will likely follow a common standard.

This looks like a case where KVL loop equations will be a straightforward way to go. If your heart is set on nodal analysis, consider that a judicious choice of supernode will help :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook