Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Find Voltage in the following circuit

1. Oct 1, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

mcPKs.png

2. Relevant equations

nodal analysis, kvl, kcl, loop analysis?

3. The attempt at a solution

Can someone please tell me if my nodal equations look right?
    Did I redraw the circuit properly?
    Mainly I'm confused about how to treat that dependent current source at the top.

esxY8.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2011 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

The source at the top looks like a voltage source, not a current source.

4. Oct 1, 2011 #3
    But the initial problem has a current running across the top, which led me to think that it's a current source. Are you sure it's a voltage source? If so, I have absolutely no idea how the nodal equations will work...

5. Oct 1, 2011 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

I see the classic diamond shape of a controlled source and within it + and - designations for polarity. To me that says "voltage source". If it were a current source I'd expect to see an arrow inside. To be on the safe side check with your reference materials for your course, which will likely follow a common standard.

This looks like a case where KVL loop equations will be a straightforward way to go. If your heart is set on nodal analysis, consider that a judicious choice of supernode will help :wink:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook