Find the Thevenin's Equivalent for the following circuits

In summary, the conversation discusses posting problems separately in posts and avoiding confusion, correcting Thevenin voltage and resistance, and the use of photos instead of links for better accessibility.
AlphaLibrae
Homework Statement
3) Find the Thevenin equivalent of the following circuit: i.e. find the thevenin's voltage and thevenin's resistance

4)Find the Thevenin's voltage and Thevenin's resistance for the following circuit and hence find the current through the load resistor

The problems and the circuit diagrams are here:
Relevant Equations
Kirchhoff's Laws
The current entering any junction is equal to the current leaving that junction. i2 + i3 = i1 + i4

The directed sum of the potential differences (voltages) around any closed loop is zero.
v1 + v2 + v3 +v4 = 0
I have actually already written out and solved for my own solutions to these problems, but I was wondering if I could get a second opinion on my solutions:

For Problem 3:
For Problem 4:

Physics news on Phys.org
In future, please post each problem in separate posts. This is PF policy. We find that this avoids "crosstalk" confusion when multiple people are engaged with different problems in the same thread.

For your first problem the Thevenin resistance looks okay but the Thevenin voltage does not. I think you've dropped a sign when solving for ##i_2##.

gneill said:
In future, please post each problem in separate posts. This is PF policy. We find that this avoids "crosstalk" confusion when multiple people are engaged with different problems in the same thread.

For your first problem the Thevenin resistance looks okay but the Thevenin voltage does not. I think you've dropped a sign when solving for ##i_2##.

Ah ok, so would it actually be 15 + (6)(0.83 = 19.98 V?

AlphaLibrae said:
Ah ok, so would it actually be 15 + (6)(0.83 = 19.98 V?
Yes. With a few more digits used for intermediate values you'd find out that it comes out to 20.0 V.

gneill said:
In future, please post each problem in separate posts.
... and please upload photos instead of link to another provider, because otherwise it happens what just [2/22/20 - 1426 GMT] happened: "imgur refuses to connect" or the link will be broken long term!

fresh_42 said:
... and please upload photos instead of link to another provider, because otherwise it happens what just [2/22/20 - 1426 GMT] happened: "imgur refuses to connect" or the link will be broken long term!
Can't see a thin.

1. What is Thevenin's Equivalent for a circuit?

Thevenin's Equivalent is a method used to simplify complex electrical circuits into a single voltage source and a single resistance, making it easier to analyze and calculate the behavior of the circuit.

2. How do you find the Thevenin's Equivalent for a circuit?

To find the Thevenin's Equivalent for a circuit, you need to follow these steps:

1. Remove all the load resistors from the circuit.
  2. Calculate the open circuit voltage by replacing all the voltage sources with short circuits and solving the resulting circuit.
  3. Calculate the equivalent resistance by removing all the voltage sources and determining the resistance between the two open terminals.
  4. The Thevenin's Equivalent is the open circuit voltage in series with the equivalent resistance.

3. Can Thevenin's Equivalent be used for both DC and AC circuits?

Yes, Thevenin's Equivalent can be used for both DC and AC circuits as long as the circuit is linear and does not contain any nonlinear elements.

4. What are the advantages of using Thevenin's Equivalent?

Thevenin's Equivalent simplifies complex circuits, making it easier to analyze and calculate the behavior of the circuit. It also allows for the use of simpler circuit analysis techniques, such as Ohm's law and voltage division, to determine the current and voltage in the circuit. Thevenin's Equivalent also allows for easier substitution of components in a circuit without affecting the overall behavior.

5. Are there any limitations to using Thevenin's Equivalent?

One limitation of using Thevenin's Equivalent is that it can only be used on linear circuits. It also assumes that the load resistor is the only element in the circuit, which may not always be the case. Additionally, Thevenin's Equivalent is only an approximation and may not provide accurate results for highly complex circuits.