FindFit for the 4-parameter beta distribution

In summary, the conversation is about using FindFit to choose parameters for a 4-parameter beta distribution in order to fit a given data set. The speaker is having trouble with getting the fitting to work properly, and seeks help from others. The code for the fitting is provided.
Anna Kaladze
Hi all,

I am trying to use FindFit in order to choose p and q parameters of ft function (which is actually a 4-parameter beta distribution) to match "data". I do not know why I get the Jacobean not being real warning at all times and also very poor fits. (If I do not specify starting guesses I get p->1 and q->1). Even if I specify starting values for p and q, FindFit just returns those very values. Can you please help me to have this curve fitting work properly? Maybe I am doing something wrong. The code is attached.

Thanks a lot.

Anna.

Attachments

• fitting.nb
    15.1 KB · Views: 414
Physics news on Phys.org
dat = {0.16, 0.067, 0.14, 0.093, 0.067, 0.087, 0.134, 0.067, 0.133, 0.12};ft[x_, p_, q_] := Beta[x, p, q]/(Beta[1, p, q]);sol = FindFit[dat, ft[x, p, q], {p, q}, x]Plot[ft[x, p, q] /. sol, {x, 0, 1}, PlotStyle -> Red]Show[ListPlot[dat, PlotStyle -> Blue], Plot[ft[x, p, q] /. sol, {x, 0, 1}, PlotStyle -> Red]]

1. What is the 4-parameter beta distribution?

The 4-parameter beta distribution is a probability distribution used to model continuous data with four parameters: alpha, beta, gamma, and delta. It is a generalization of the standard beta distribution and has a wider range of possible shapes.

2. What is FindFit for the 4-parameter beta distribution?

FindFit is a function in many statistical software programs that helps to estimate the parameters of a given distribution based on a set of data. For the 4-parameter beta distribution, FindFit uses the method of maximum likelihood to find the values of alpha, beta, gamma, and delta that best fit the data.

3. How is the 4-parameter beta distribution used in scientific research?

The 4-parameter beta distribution is commonly used in scientific research to model data in fields such as biology, economics, and engineering. It can be used to analyze continuous data and make predictions about future outcomes based on past data.

4. What are the advantages of using the 4-parameter beta distribution over other distributions?

The 4-parameter beta distribution offers more flexibility in modeling data compared to other distributions, as it can take on a wide range of shapes. It also allows for the inclusion of asymmetry and skewness in the data, which may be more realistic in many real-world situations.

5. Are there any limitations to using FindFit for the 4-parameter beta distribution?

Like any statistical method, FindFit for the 4-parameter beta distribution has its limitations. It assumes that the data follows a 4-parameter beta distribution, which may not always be the case. Additionally, the accuracy of the parameter estimates depends on the quality and quantity of the data provided.