How Do You Find a Basis for the Orthogonal Complement of Given Vectors in ℝ5?

In summary, the problem is asking for a basis of a space where a vector is orthogonal to both another vector and itself.
ichabodgrant
Let u = [1, 2, 3, -1, 2]T, v = [2, 4, 7, 2, -1]T in 5.
Find a basis of a space W such that wu and wv for all wW.

I think the question is quite easy. Given this vector w in the space W is orthogonal to both u and v. I can only think of w being a zero vector. But would this be too trivial?

wTu = wTv = 0

wT(u - v) = 0

I believe there is something wrong. Things above are what I can compute...
Is there any other way to solve this question?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, I've thought of another way.

Set a augmented matrix
[1 2 3 -1 2 | 0]
[2 4 7 2 -1 | 0]

~

[1 2 3 -1 2 | 0]
[0 2 4 3 -3 | 0]

Let x5 = t, x4 = s, x3 = z where t, s, z ∈ ℝ.
∴ x2 = 1.5t - 1.5s - 2z
x1 = -5t + 4s + z

Therefore, the solution set is {t[-5 1.5 2 0 0 1]T + s[4 -1.5 0 1 0]T + z[1 -2 1 0 0]T}.
The basis is {[-5 1.5 2 0 0 1]T, [4 -1.5 0 1 0]T, [1 -2 1 0 0]T}.Is this correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ichabodgrant said:
wTu = wTv = 0
You have started OK, but then you have hurried along too fast. Let w = [w1, w2, w3, w4, w5]. Now apply your conditions (written as scalar products: [itex]\left\langle w, u \right\rangle = 0 [/itex] and [itex]\left\langle w, v \right\rangle = 0 [/itex] ). You will not find a complete solution (after all, there are 5 variables and two equations), but you will have some constraints on the coordinates.

So my second try is correct?
Better to let w1, w2, w3, w4, w5 instead of x...?

ichabodgrant said:
So my second try is correct?
No.
The first vector in your set has too many components (typo?). Each vector in your set has to be perpendicular to u and v, which you can easily check by doing dot products.
ichabodgrant said:
Better to let w1, w2, w3, w4, w5 instead of x...?

Yeah typo...sorry
the 2 is redundant

Seems like W would be the intersection of the ortho complements of u,v .

I would do it this way- write the general vector in your subspace as (a, b, c, d, e). Such a vector is perpendicular to (1, 2, 3, -1, 1) if and only if a+ 2b+ 3c- d+ e= 0. It is perpendicular to (2, 4, 7, 2, -1) if and only if 2a+ 4b+ 7c+ 2d- e= 0. Adding those two equations together, 3a+ 6b+ 10c- d= 0 so that d= 3a+ 6b+ 10c. Putting that into either or the first equations let's you solve for, say, e in terms of a, b, c, and d. Replace d and e in (a, b, c, d, e) by those and then write the result as a( ...)+ b(...)+ c(...).

for your first answer that w=0, you should understand that a set of vectors with the zero vector is never linearly independent. Think about it for a bit. You can easily prove it yourself. And if you don't have a linearly independent set then you don't have a basis. A basis is defined to be a linearly independent spanning list afterall.

Ahmad Kishki said:
for your first answer that w=0, you should understand that a set of vectors with the zero vector is never linearly independent. Think about it for a bit. You can easily prove it yourself. .

A 1-line proof: take any non-zero c , then c.0=0 is a non-trivial combination that gives you 0.

Related to How Do You Find a Basis for the Orthogonal Complement of Given Vectors in ℝ5?

1. What is a basis of a space?

A basis of a space is a set of vectors that span the entire space and are linearly independent. This means that any vector in the space can be written as a linear combination of the basis vectors and that no basis vector can be written as a linear combination of the other basis vectors.

2. Why is finding a basis important?

Finding a basis is important because it allows us to represent any vector in a space in a unique and efficient way. It also helps us to understand the structure and properties of a space.

3. How do you find a basis of a space?

To find a basis of a space, we need to first identify the vectors that span the space. This can be done by finding the pivot columns in a matrix representation of the space. Then, we check the linear independence of these vectors by solving a system of equations. If the vectors are linearly independent, they form a basis of the space.

4. Can a space have more than one basis?

Yes, a space can have more than one basis. In fact, any vector in a space can be used as the starting point for finding a basis, as long as the set of vectors found is linearly independent and spans the space.

5. How can we determine the dimension of a space using its basis?

The dimension of a space is equal to the number of vectors in its basis. This is because a basis is a set of linearly independent vectors that span the entire space. Therefore, the number of vectors in the basis reflects the number of dimensions needed to describe the space.