Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a graduate school in physics/what research fields can I go into?

  1. Mar 14, 2009 #1
    Recently I switched into physics from biochemistry after taking first semester of junior EM. Anyway I am graduating next year and fully plan on continuing physics in graduate school. In short I want to be a physicist and get my PhD.

    I have vague ideas of what I am interested in but I don't know which schools have strong programs, or even really if I should go experimental or theoretical.

    In the experimental realm I am interested in AMO physics. Also after learning what I can about QED and other quantum field theories I really want to take a graduate course on the subject (currently taking an undergraduate Nuclear/Particle phys course). Unfortunately my college is mostly condensed matter physicists.

    And this is the problem. Do experimentalists in particle physics take quantum field theory courses or do I have to go into theory to get that education?

    Does anyone have any tips for finding good information about current research in these fields? Any big named programs that I should know about? Any books people can recommend?

    Any advice about graduate school in general or people I should talk to would be welcome.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2009 #2
    Quantum field theory plays a large role in condensed matter.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook