How Do You Integrate and Simplify Complex Cosine Series?

• MHB
  • Thread starter scottshannon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tips
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of integrating a squared function and reducing it to a sum over "diagonal" terms. The sum can be simplified further, and the limit of the sum as n approaches infinity can be evaluated as the Riemann approximation to a certain integral.
scottshannon
Am not sure how to even approach this problem:

View attachment 3799

Attachments

• 10404419_648018251986822_5696794758703103028_n.jpg
    10404419_648018251986822_5696794758703103028_n.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 58
Physics news on Phys.org
Start like this: $$ (f_n(x))^2 = \left(\sum_{k=1}^n \frac1{\sqrt n}\cos\frac{\pi k}n \cos kx\right) \left(\sum_{l=1}^n \frac1{\sqrt n}\cos\frac{\pi l}n \cos lx\right) = \sum_{k,l = 1}^n \frac1n\cos\frac{\pi k}n \cos\frac{\pi l}n \cos kx\cos lx.$$ Now you want to integrate that from $0$ to $2\pi$. But \(\displaystyle \int_0^{2\pi}\!\!\!\cos kx\cos lx\,dx = 0\) when $l\ne k$. So you can disregard all the terms where $l\ne k$, and all that is left is the sum over the "diagonal" terms. Therefore $$ \int_0^{2\pi}\!\!\! (f_n(x))^2 = \sum_{k=1}^n \frac1n\cos^2\frac{\pi k}n\int_0^{2\pi} \!\!\!\cos^2kx\,dx.$$ Next, \(\displaystyle \int_0^{2\pi}\!\!\!\cos^2kx\,dx = \pi\), so the sum reduces to \(\displaystyle \int_0^{2\pi}\!\!\! (f_n(x))^2 = \sum_{k=1}^n \frac\pi n\cos^2\frac{\pi k}n\).

I'll leave you to evaluate the limit of that sum as $n\to\infty$. Hint: think of it as the Riemann approximation to a certain integral.

1. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

To improve your problem-solving skills, it is important to practice regularly and approach problems with a positive attitude. You can also try breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and seeking advice or feedback from others.

2. What is the best way to approach a tough problem?

The best way to approach a tough problem is to first fully understand the problem by gathering all relevant information and identifying any constraints. Then, brainstorm potential solutions and evaluate each one carefully before choosing the best option.

3. How can I stay motivated when facing a difficult problem?

Staying motivated when facing a difficult problem can be challenging, but it can be helpful to remind yourself of the potential benefits of solving the problem and to take breaks when needed. You can also try changing your perspective and looking at the problem in a different way.

4. How can I prevent getting stuck on a problem?

To prevent getting stuck on a problem, it can be helpful to set a time limit for yourself and move on to a different task if you are unable to make progress. You can also try approaching the problem from a different angle or seeking advice from others.

5. How can I use failure as a learning opportunity when solving a tough problem?

When facing a tough problem, it is important to remember that failure is a natural and necessary part of the problem-solving process. To use failure as a learning opportunity, reflect on what went wrong and why, and use this information to adjust your approach and improve your problem-solving skills.