Finding the Limit: The Taylor Series Approach

In summary, The limit in question can be solved by using Taylor series to approximate the terms (x-\sinh x)(\cosh x- \cos x) and (5+\sin x \ln x). The first term can be approximated by x^3/6 while the second term can be approximated by x^2. This leads to a final limit of -1/30.
squeetox

Homework Statement

I need to find the following limit.

Homework Equations

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow0}\frac{(x-\sinh x)(\cosh x- \cos x)}{(5+\sin x \ln x) \sin^3 x (e^{x^2}-1)}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it's got to be something with Taylor series, but I don't really know how to do it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

squeetox said:
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow0}\frac{(x-\sinh x)(\cosh x- \cos x)}{(5+\sin x \ln x) \sin^3 x (e^{x^2}-1)}[/tex]

I think it's got to be something with Taylor series, but I don't really know how to do it.

Hi squeetox! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Hint: for example, the Taylor series for e3x is 1 + 3x + … , so if (e3x - 1) was a factor, you could replace it (as x -> 0) by 3x. :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi squeetox! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Thanks!

Why do the others terms (9x2/2 + 9x3/2...) disappear as x->0?

PS: I had thought of replacing [itex]\sin^3 x (e^{x^2}) \sim x^5[/itex] because I know that [itex]\sin [f(x)] \sim f(x)[/itex] and [itex]e^{f(x)} -1 \sim f(x)[/itex]. The rest I have no clue though.

Last edited:
Hi squeetox! :smile:
squeetox said:
Why do the others terms (9x2/2 + 9x3/2...) disappear as x->0?

They don't actually disappear … but, compared with x, they get so small (as x -> 0) that we can ignore them. :smile:
PS: I had thought of replacing [itex]\sin^3 x (e^{x^2}) \sim x^5[/itex] because I know that [itex]\sin [f(x)] \sim f(x)[/itex] and [itex]e^{f(x)} -1 \sim f(x)[/itex]. The rest I have no clue though.

Nooo … you're confusing ex2 and ex2 - 1. :wink:

tiny-tim said:
They don't actually disappear … but, compared with x, they get so small (as x -> 0) that we can ignore them. :smile:
So basically you mean that since it's a sum of x's to different powers, and the ones after 3x get smaller much faster, I can ignore them?
Thanks.

tiny-tim said:
Nooo … you're confusing ex2 and ex2 - 1. :wink:

I'm sorry that's what I meant. If you look at the limit I'm looking for, it's [itex]e^{x^2} - 1 \sim x^2[/itex] therefore [itex]sin^3 x(e^{x^2}-1) \sim x^5[/itex].

Now what about [itex](x-\sinh x)(\cosh x- \cos x)[/itex] and [itex]5+\sin x \ln x[/itex]?

squeetox said:
I'm sorry that's what I meant. If you look at the limit I'm looking for, it's [itex]e^{x^2} - 1 \sim x^2[/itex] therefore [itex]sin^3 x(e^{x^2}-1) \sim x^5[/itex].

ah yes, so it is … i didn't look back up to the top! :redface:
Now what about [itex](x-\sinh x)(\cosh x- \cos x)[/itex] and [itex]5+\sin x \ln x[/itex]?

The first lot, you do the same way.

The sinx lnx … I can't remember whether there's a Taylor expansion for lnx … it obviously does -> 0 … just look at sin10-100 ln10-100, but how to prove it? :rolleyes:

anyway, that's you problem, not mine! :wink: :biggrin:

For sin x ln x, I'm thinking...
[tex]\sin x \ln x \sim x \ln x[/tex]

And
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow0}x \ln x = \lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} \frac{1}{x}\ln\frac{1}{x} = \lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} -\frac{\ln x}{x} = 0[/tex]

Therefore:
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow0}(5+\sin x \ln x) = 5[/tex]

For the first lot, do I find Taylor expressions for (x - sinh x) and (cosh x - cos x) or for the product of both?

Edit: I got it:
[tex]x-\sinh x \sim -\frac{x^3}{6}[/tex]
[tex]\cosh x - \cos x \sim x^2[/tex]

So finally...
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow0}\frac{(x-\sinh x)(\cosh x- \cos x)}{(5+\sin x \ln x) \sin^3 x (e^{x^2}-1)} = -\frac{1}{30}[/tex]

Thank you so much for your help!

Last edited:

1. What is a Taylor series?

A Taylor series is a mathematical representation of a function using an infinite sum of terms. It is used to approximate a function at a specific point by adding the values of derivatives of the function at that point.

2. How is the Taylor series approach used to find limits?

The Taylor series approach is used to approximate a function at a specific point, which can then be used to find the limit of the function as the point approaches that specific point. By taking higher order derivatives of the function, the approximation becomes more accurate.

3. What are the benefits of using the Taylor series approach?

One benefit of using the Taylor series approach is that it can be used to approximate complicated functions that may be difficult to evaluate directly. It also allows for flexibility in choosing the point at which to approximate the function, and can provide a more accurate approximation compared to other methods.

4. Are there any limitations to the Taylor series approach?

One limitation of the Taylor series approach is that it can only approximate a function within a certain radius of convergence, which depends on the function and the point of approximation. It also requires taking derivatives of the function, which may not always be feasible or practical.

5. How is the Taylor series approach related to calculus?

The Taylor series approach is closely related to calculus, as it involves taking derivatives of a function. It is often used to find the derivatives of functions, and can also be used to evaluate integrals. It is a useful tool in calculus for approximating and analyzing functions.