1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a limit

1. Nov 15, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to find the following limit.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow0}\frac{(x-\sinh x)(\cosh x- \cos x)}{(5+\sin x \ln x) \sin^3 x (e^{x^2}-1)}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think it's got to be something with Taylor series, but I don't really know how to do it.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi squeetox! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Hint: for example, the Taylor series for e3x is 1 + 3x + … , so if (e3x - 1) was a factor, you could replace it (as x -> 0) by 3x. :wink:

4. Nov 15, 2008 #3
    Thanks!

Why do the others terms (9x2/2 + 9x3/2...) disappear as x->0?

PS: I had thought of replacing [itex]\sin^3 x (e^{x^2}) \sim x^5[/itex] because I know that [itex]\sin [f(x)] \sim f(x)[/itex] and [itex]e^{f(x)} -1 \sim f(x)[/itex]. The rest I have no clue though.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  5. Nov 16, 2008 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi squeetox! :smile:
    They don't actually disappear … but, compared with x, they get so small (as x -> 0) that we can ignore them. :smile:
    Nooo … you're confusing ex2 and ex2 - 1. :wink:

6. Nov 16, 2008 #5
    So basically you mean that since it's a sum of x's to different powers, and the ones after 3x get smaller much faster, I can ignore them?
    Thanks.

7. Nov 16, 2008 #6
    I'm sorry that's what I meant. If you look at the limit I'm looking for, it's [itex]e^{x^2} - 1 \sim x^2[/itex] therefore [itex]sin^3 x(e^{x^2}-1) \sim x^5[/itex].

Now what about [itex](x-\sinh x)(\cosh x- \cos x)[/itex] and [itex]5+\sin x \ln x[/itex]?

8. Nov 16, 2008 #7

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

ah yes, so it is … i didn't look back up to the top! :redface:
    The first lot, you do the same way.

The sinx lnx … I can't remember whether there's a Taylor expansion for lnx … it obviously does -> 0 … just look at sin10-100 ln10-100, but how to prove it? :rolleyes:

anyway, that's you problem, not mine! :wink: :biggrin:

9. Nov 16, 2008 #8
    For sin x ln x, I'm thinking...
    [tex]\sin x \ln x \sim x \ln x[/tex]

And
    [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow0}x \ln x = \lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} \frac{1}{x}\ln\frac{1}{x} = \lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} -\frac{\ln x}{x} = 0[/tex]

Therefore:
    [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow0}(5+\sin x \ln x) = 5[/tex]

For the first lot, do I find Taylor expressions for (x - sinh x) and (cosh x - cos x) or for the product of both?

Edit: I got it:
    [tex]x-\sinh x \sim -\frac{x^3}{6}[/tex]
    [tex]\cosh x - \cos x \sim x^2[/tex]

So finally...
    [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow0}\frac{(x-\sinh x)(\cosh x- \cos x)}{(5+\sin x \ln x) \sin^3 x (e^{x^2}-1)} = -\frac{1}{30}[/tex]

Thank you so much for your help!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?