1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a limit

1. Jan 27, 2013 #1
    I'm familiarized with finding limits of most kinds of functions. I was struck by a problem: What if the variables of the function belong to different sets of numbers?

My point being, given the function:

f(n,q)=[itex]\frac{n}{q}[/itex]

With n belonging to the set of natural numbers and q belonging to the set of rational numbers.

How do I avaluate the following limit (if possible):

lim f(n,q) as n→∞ and q→∞

This may be a silly question but care to answer please.

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2013 #2
    I am not 100% certain but I believe L'Hospital's rule still applies to multivariable functions if both the top and bottom functions are going to infinity. That would make:

lim f(n,q) as n→∞ and q→∞ = 1

only because you can take the derivative of what is upstairs and the derivative of what is downstairs with simplicity. I don't think this method would work if you had say, a function like:

f(n,q) = (n+q) / (q-n)^2

because then you would have multiple variables locked upstairs and downstairs and it would become a mess with partial derivations.

4. Jan 27, 2013 #3

rollingstein

Gold Member

That function is discontinous along one axis. Don't think L'Hospital can be used then.

5. Jan 27, 2013 #4

Curious3141

Homework Helper

You have to define your n and q better.

As an example, let's take the limit ##\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{\lfloor x \rfloor}{x}##, where ##x \in \mathbb{R}##

You can't simply apply L' Hopital's because the numerator is a discontinuous function.

But you can find the limit by defining the fractional part of x as ##\{x\}## and rewriting the limit as:

##\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{x - \{x\}}{x} = 1 - \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{\{x\}}{x} = 1##

So a lot depends on exactly what you intend the numerator and denominator to signify.

6. Jan 27, 2013 #5

pwsnafu

Science Advisor

Do you mean ##\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}\lim_{q \rightarrow \infty} \frac{n}{q}## or ##\lim_{q \rightarrow \infty} \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{n}{q}##?

The general theory is that of nets.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  7. Jan 27, 2013 #6
    Very cool! Thanks for the correction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook