Finding Acceleration of Ball on Paper

• Thread starter boardbox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball Paper
In summary, a heavy ball on a piece of paper on the floor is being moved horizontally with acceleration a. The acceleration of the center of the ball can be found by analyzing the translational and rotational dynamics of the ball using Newton's 2nd law. The final answer is that the ball will have an acceleration of 2a/r if the center of mass has the same acceleration as the paper. However, this does not make sense and the correct answer is found by dividing the relative acceleration of the paper and ball by the radius.
boardbox

Homework Statement

I have a heavy ball on a piece of paper on the floor. The paper is grabbed and moved horizontally with acceleration a. What is the acceleration of the center of the ball? The ball is assumed to not slip with respect to the paper.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure how the acceleration is supposed to interact with the ball. A thought I've had is to say that the ball doesn't translate but rotates with angular acceleration a/R since it doesn't slip.

Physics news on Phys.org
boardbox said:
A thought I've had is to say that the ball doesn't translate but rotates with angular acceleration a/R since it doesn't slip.

*** Edited after reading Doc Al's Comment ***

That's almost it. See Doc Al's comment below.

Last edited:
boardbox said:
A thought I've had is to say that the ball doesn't translate but rotates with angular acceleration a/R since it doesn't slip.
Careful. The paper exerts a force on the ball, so the ball must translate as well as rotate. Both the ball and the surface (the paper) are accelerating, but at different rates. So you can't just assume that the angular acceleration is a/R.

Hint: Assume that the paper exerts some force F on the ball. Analyze the translational and rotational dynamics of the ball using Newton's 2nd law.

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fball = Fpaper = maball
[tex]\Sigma[/tex]t = tpaper = I [tex]\alpha[/tex]
t = r x F
[tex]\alpha[/tex] = apaper/r

plug and chug

aball = 2apaper/5

does that get it about right?

Last edited:
boardbox said:
[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fball = Fpaper = maball
OK.
[tex]\Sigma[/tex]t = tpaper = I [tex]\alpha[/tex]
t = r x F
OK.
[tex]\alpha[/tex] = apaper/r
No. Alpha is the rotation about the center of mass--compare the acceleration of the paper with the acceleration of the center of mass.

(But you're on the right track!)

Last edited:
Would it be the sum of the two accelerations over the radius?

I think rolling without slipping is [tex]\omega[/tex] = v/r so the acceleration version of that should just be the time derivative. If I have a a constant v on the paper and the ball I would expect to just sum them.

boardbox said:
Would it be the sum of the two accelerations over the radius?
What if the center of mass had the same acceleration as the paper? What would be the rotational acceleration of the ball in that case?

Zero?
You highlight sum. I'm wondering if you want magnitude of difference?

boardbox said:
Zero?
Exactly. If you just added them you'd get alpha = 2a/r, which doesn't make sense.
You highlight sum. I'm wondering if you want magnitude of difference?
What you need to find alpha is the relative acceleration of paper and ball divided by r.

I see, makes sense. Thanks for the help.

Related to Finding Acceleration of Ball on Paper

1. What is the equation for finding acceleration of a ball on paper?

The equation for finding acceleration of a ball on paper is a = (v_f - v_i)/t, where a is acceleration, v_f is final velocity, v_i is initial velocity, and t is time.

2. How do you measure the initial and final velocity of a ball on paper?

The initial velocity can be measured by marking the starting point of the ball's motion on the paper and using a timer to record the time it takes for the ball to reach that point. The final velocity can be measured by marking the ending point of the ball's motion and using a timer to record the time it takes for the ball to reach that point.

3. What units are used for acceleration when finding the acceleration of a ball on paper?

The units for acceleration when finding the acceleration of a ball on paper are meters per second squared (m/s^2).

4. How does the mass of the ball affect its acceleration on paper?

The mass of the ball does not affect its acceleration on paper, as long as the surface of the paper is flat and there is no significant air resistance. This is because the equation for acceleration on paper only takes into account the initial and final velocities and the time taken for the ball to travel between those points, not the mass of the ball.

5. Can you use this equation to find the acceleration of a ball on any surface?

No, this equation is specifically for finding the acceleration of a ball on paper. Different surfaces may have different levels of friction, which can affect the acceleration of the ball. Therefore, the equation may need to be adjusted or a different equation may need to be used when finding the acceleration of a ball on a different surface.