Finding all solutions to non-linear system numericaly

In summary, the conversation is discussing the possibility of finding all solutions to a system of non-linear equations without solving them analytically. The speaker has implemented a python solution of Newton's Method and is wondering if there is a way to get good guesses without scanning all numbers. The concept of "finding all solutions" is further clarified and it is stated that without some analysis, it is not possible to know how many roots there are and therefore, it is not possible to find all roots without an analytical analysis.
charnley
Hello world,

Is it possible to find all solutions to a system of non-linear equations, without solving them analytically?

I have implemented a python solution of Newton's Method, is there a method of getting good guesses without scanning all numbers?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "find all solutions"? You can, of course, approximate solutions. Is that what you mean by "finding" them? All numerical methods of solving equations will give one equation- typically, though not necessarily, the one closest to the chosen "starting value". So to find "all" solutions you would have to have some information about their possible values to begin with. And how would you know if you had found all solutions? What about equations that have an infinite number of solutions?

By "find all solutions" I mean finding the roots. Is there a way to, numerically, analyse the functions. If I *don't* have any information about their possible values to begin with, find all possible roots.

Hmm, I actually did no consider a system with infinite number of solutions. Hmm.

So there is no way to find all roots, without doing a analytical analysis of the system?

charnley said:
So there is no way to find all roots, without doing a analytical analysis of the system?

Correct. If you don't do some analysis, you don't even know how many roots there are.

I can say that it is possible to find all solutions to a system of non-linear equations numerically. There are several methods and algorithms that can be used, such as Newton's Method, gradient descent, and the secant method. These methods involve iteratively refining a guess or estimate of the solutions until a desired level of accuracy is reached.

In terms of getting good initial guesses without scanning all numbers, one approach is to use the initial guesses from previous iterations or solutions. Another approach is to use heuristics or problem-specific knowledge to generate reasonable initial guesses. Additionally, some methods allow for multiple initial guesses to be used simultaneously, which can improve the chances of finding all solutions. It is also important to consider the characteristics of the non-linear system and choose a method that is most suitable for it.

1. What is a non-linear system?

A non-linear system is a set of equations that cannot be solved using simple algebraic methods, as the equations are not linear (i.e. they contain variables with powers greater than 1 or are multiplied or divided by other variables).

2. Why is it important to find all solutions to a non-linear system numerically?

It is important to find all solutions to a non-linear system numerically because it allows us to understand the behavior and relationships between variables in a complex system. By finding all solutions, we can gain insights and make predictions about the system's behavior.

3. What methods are commonly used to find all solutions to a non-linear system numerically?

Some commonly used methods include the Newton-Raphson method, the bisection method, and the secant method. These methods use a combination of iteration and approximation to find the solutions to the system.

4. Can a non-linear system have multiple solutions?

Yes, a non-linear system can have multiple solutions. This is because non-linear systems can have complex relationships between variables, resulting in multiple solutions that satisfy the equations.

5. How accurate are the solutions obtained through numerical methods?

The accuracy of the solutions obtained through numerical methods depends on the method used and the complexity of the system. In general, the more iterations and refinements used in the method, the more accurate the solutions will be.