Finding amplitude of a baby in cot

• Thread starter charmedbeauty
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Amplitude
In summary: If the baby and the mattress were attached to each other, and you pulled the baby upwards by 16 cm and then released it, then the spring force on the baby would result in a downwards acceleration greater than g. The baby and the spring aren't attached however, so it would leave the spring. I think it is fair to think of it like this, at the peak of each oscillation, the baby and spring are momentarily stationary...
charmedbeauty

Homework Statement

A baby bounces up and down in her crib. Her mass is 10.5 kg, and the crib mattress can be modeled as a light spring with force constant 654 N/m.

The baby soon learns to bounce with maximum amplitude and minimum effort by bending her knees at what frequency?

b)If she were to use the mattress as a trampoline—losing contact with it for part of each cycle—what minimum amplitude of oscillation does she require?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

for the first part I just did

T=2∏√(m/k)

and f=1/T

f= 1.256

for part b)

ω=2∏/T

T=1/f

ω=2∏(1.256)

=7.89

is this method correct for b)

Physics news on Phys.org
Your method for part a) looks correct. But for part b) you have calculated the natural angular frequency of the system, but the question hasn't asked you to do this. part b) is a slightly odd question. It asks for the required amplitude of oscillation such that the baby leaves the mattress. I don't think there is enough information to find the answer to part b), was there anything else given in the question?

Edit: Oh, I think for part b) you are just supposed to give a word answer. It is a common sense answer, really. You need to think about the situation, no calculation is needed.

BruceW said:
Your method for part a) looks correct. But for part b) you have calculated the natural angular frequency of the system, but the question hasn't asked you to do this. part b) is a slightly odd question. It asks for the required amplitude of oscillation such that the baby leaves the mattress. I don't think there is enough information to find the answer to part b), was there anything else given in the question?

Edit: Oh, I think for part b) you are just supposed to give a word answer. It is a common sense answer, really. You need to think about the situation, no calculation is needed.

No its definitely a calculation it has a cm units marked next to it.

For part b), Is this actually pretty easy? Can you just find the spring displacement that would result in an initial acceleration of -9.8m/s^2 if freely released? So the baby would be accelerating downwards at a lesser rate than the cot spring... leaving the spring?

magin said:
For part b), Is this actually pretty easy? Can you just find the spring displacement that would result in an initial acceleration of -9.8m/s^2 if freely released? So the baby would be accelerating downwards at a lesser rate than the cot spring... leaving the spring?

you mean find the spring force necessary to overcome the weight force?

Yes, would this be correct?

magin said:
Yes, would this be correct?

no

since your asked to find amplitude not force.

and at a displacement of about 16cm... the spring force and baby are in equilibrium

I don't think I am wording myself clearly.

If the baby and the mattress were attached to each other, and you pulled the baby upwards by 16 cm and then released it, then the spring force on the baby would result in a downwards acceleration greater than g. The baby and the spring aren't attached however, so it would leave the spring. I think it is fair to think of it like this, at the peak of each oscillation, the baby and spring are momentarily stationary...

magin said:
I don't think I am wording myself clearly.

If the baby and the mattress were attached to each other, and you pulled the baby upwards by 16 cm and then released it, then the spring force on the baby would result in a downwards acceleration greater than g. The baby and the spring aren't attached however, so it would leave the spring. I think it is fair to think of it like this, at the peak of each oscillation, the baby and spring are momentarily stationary...

maybe try

A=(gm)/k

that should be right

1. How do you measure the amplitude of a baby in a cot?

The amplitude of a baby in a cot can be measured by using a ruler or measuring tape to determine the distance from the top of the cot to the highest point of the baby's body, typically the head or chest.

2. Why is it important to find the amplitude of a baby in a cot?

Finding the amplitude of a baby in a cot can help determine the amount of space the baby has to move and may indicate if the cot is too small or if the baby needs more room for comfort and safety.

3. What factors can affect the amplitude of a baby in a cot?

The amplitude of a baby in a cot can be affected by the baby's size, position in the cot, and any objects or toys in the cot that may limit their movement.

4. Can the amplitude of a baby in a cot change over time?

Yes, the amplitude of a baby in a cot can change as the baby grows and develops. It is important to regularly check the amplitude to ensure the cot is still suitable for the baby's size and needs.

5. Are there any safety implications to consider when finding the amplitude of a baby in a cot?

Yes, it is important to ensure that the cot is stable and any objects or toys in the cot do not pose a safety hazard to the baby. It is also important to follow recommended guidelines for the amount of space a baby should have in their cot for safe sleeping.