Finding $\angle ACB$ in $\triangle ABC$

• MHB
  • Thread starter Albert1
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves a triangle ABC with angle ABC measuring 45 degrees, a point D on side BC, and the condition that 2 times the length of BD is equal to the length of CD. Additionally, it is given that angle DAB measures 15 degrees and the task is to find the measure of angle ACB. Despite attempts to solve the problem using geometry, the solution remains elusive.
Albert1
$\triangle ABC ,\angle ABC =45^o,\,\,point \,\, D \,\, on \,\, \overline{BC}, \,\,and :$
$2\overline {BD}=\overline {CD},\,\,\angle DAB=15^o$
please find :$\angle ACB=?$

Mathematics news on Phys.org
My solution:

This is most likely not what you're looking for but I couldn't resist to solve any given geometry problem with the help of my close friend, aka trigonometry, hehehe...:p:eek:

View attachment 3568

First let $BD=DE=EC=k$ and join DG and GF such that $\angle ABC=45^{\circ}=\angle DGB$, $\angle GDF=30^{\circ}=\angle DFG$ and $\angle DAB=15^{\circ}=\angle AGF$ so triangles $DBG$, $DGF$ and $AGF$ are isosceles with the congruent sides labeled as $k$.

Applying the Sine Rule to the triangle $DFG$ we have

$\dfrac{DF}{\sin 120^{\circ}}=\dfrac{k}{\sin 30^{\circ}}\,\,\,\implies DF=\sqrt{3}k$

Applying the Cosine Rule to the triangle $ACD$ we get

$AC^2=(2k)^2+((1+\sqrt{3})k)^2-2(2k)(1+\sqrt{3})k)\cos 60^{\circ}\,\,\,\implies AC=\sqrt{6}k$

Applying the Sine Rule again to the triangle $ACD$ we see that

$\dfrac{AC}{\sin 60^{\circ}}=\dfrac{AD}{\sin ACB}$

$\sin ACB=\dfrac{1+\sqrt{3}}{2\sqrt{2}}=\dfrac{1}{2}\cdot\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}}+\dfrac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\cdot\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}}=\sin 30^{\circ}\cos 45^{\circ}+\cos 30^{\circ}\sin 45^{\circ}=\sin(30^{\circ}+45^{\circ})=\sin 75^{\circ}$

$\therefore \angle ACB=75^{\circ}$.

Attachments

• Fing angle ACB.JPG
    Fing angle ACB.JPG
    11.8 KB · Views: 68
anemone said:
My solution:

This is most likely not what you're looking for but I couldn't resist to solve any given geometry problem with the help of my close friend, aka trigonometry, hehehe...:p:eek:

View attachment 3568

First let $BD=DE=EC=k$ and join DG and GF such that $\angle ABC=45^{\circ}=\angle DGB$, $\angle GDF=30^{\circ}=\angle DFG$ and $\angle DAB=15^{\circ}=\angle AGF$ so triangles $DBG$, $DGF$ and $AGF$ are isosceles with the congruent sides labeled as $k$.

Applying the Sine Rule to the triangle $DFG$ we have

$\dfrac{DF}{\sin 120^{\circ}}=\dfrac{k}{\sin 30^{\circ}}\,\,\,\implies DF=\sqrt{3}k$

Applying the Cosine Rule to the triangle $ACD$ we get

$AC^2=(2k)^2+((1+\sqrt{3})k)^2-2(2k)(1+\sqrt{3})k)\cos 60^{\circ}\,\,\,\implies AC=\sqrt{6}k$

Applying the Sine Rule again to the triangle $ACD$ we see that

$\dfrac{AC}{\sin 60^{\circ}}=\dfrac{AD}{\sin ACB}$

$\sin ACB=\dfrac{1+\sqrt{3}}{2\sqrt{2}}=\dfrac{1}{2}\cdot\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}}+\dfrac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\cdot\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}}=\sin 30^{\circ}\cos 45^{\circ}+\cos 30^{\circ}\sin 45^{\circ}=\sin(30^{\circ}+45^{\circ})=\sin 75^{\circ}$

$\therefore \angle ACB=75^{\circ}$.
your answer is correct !,will you try to use geometry ?
(let geometry also be your close friend)

Albert said:
your answer is correct !,will you try to use geometry ?
(let geometry also be your close friend)

I in fact tried to tackle it geometrically and I thought it must have everything to do to prove that

the quadrilateral $AGDC$ is cyclic

but all of my attempts had been proven to be exercises in futility.(Doh)

Albert said:
$\triangle ABC ,\angle ABC =45^o,\,\,point \,\, D \,\, on \,\, \overline{BC}, \,\,and :$
$2\overline {BD}=\overline {CD},\,\,\angle DAB=15^o$
please find :$\angle ACB=?$

My solution:

Attachments

• Angle ACB.jpg
    Angle ACB.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 57
Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Finding $\angle ACB$ in $\triangle ABC$

1. How do I find the measure of $\angle ACB$ in $\triangle ABC$?

To find the measure of $\angle ACB$ in $\triangle ABC$, use the Law of Cosines or the Law of Sines. The Law of Cosines states that $c^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2ab\cos\angle C$, where $a$ and $b$ are the lengths of the sides adjacent to $\angle C$ and $c$ is the length of the side opposite to $\angle C$. The Law of Sines states that $\frac{a}{\sin\angle A} = \frac{b}{\sin\angle B} = \frac{c}{\sin\angle C}$.

2. What information do I need to find $\angle ACB$ in $\triangle ABC$?

To find the measure of $\angle ACB$ in $\triangle ABC$, you need to know the lengths of at least two sides and the measure of the angle opposite to one of those sides. This can be done using the Law of Cosines or the Law of Sines.

3. Can I use the Pythagorean Theorem to find $\angle ACB$ in $\triangle ABC$?

No, the Pythagorean Theorem can only be used to find the lengths of sides in a right triangle. It cannot be used to find the measures of angles.

4. Are there any other methods for finding $\angle ACB$ in $\triangle ABC$?

Yes, you can also use the properties of similar triangles or the Angle Bisector Theorem to find $\angle ACB$ in $\triangle ABC$. These methods involve setting up proportions and solving for the unknown angle.

5. What is the measure of $\angle ACB$ in an equilateral triangle?

In an equilateral triangle, all angles are congruent, meaning they have the same measure. Therefore, in an equilateral triangle $\angle ACB$ would have a measure of $60^{\circ}$ or $\frac{\pi}{3}$ radians.