Finding charge and mass on hanging strings

In summary, the original problem stated that two point charges with a mass of 1kg and equal charge of 2L sin θ repel each other at the end of a lightweight rope. However, the mass and charge are not independent and must be found in accordance with the given equation.
nilesthebrave

Homework Statement

Two identical point charges with a mass <i>m</i> and equal charge <i>q</i> repel each other at the end of a lightweight rope of length L=12.5cm. The angle θ is 17.5 degrees.
a)What is the mass <i>m</i>?
b)What is the charge <i>q</i>?

Homework Equations

Fx= Fe-Tcosθ=0
Fy=mg-Tsinθ=0

Fe=kq1q2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a free body diagram drawn up(don't know how to post them sorry) of the left ball, with the Fg acting downwards, the Ft acting towards the connecting point with the ceiling and the Fe pointing horizontally away from the opposite sphere.

The problem I'm having is I don't know how to find the mass since it seems no matter how I try to go about solving this equation I always have two unknowns.

I cannot tell if I'm just missing something simple by looking too hard at it, but I can't seem to figure out where to start. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with you. Too many unknowns. You could set the mass at any value you want and then find the charge that would make them hang at the given angle, or vice versa.

I've e-mailed my professor now, since I'm still completely lost on this. :tongue:

Good, let us know what he/she says.

Alright, after working some other problems I tried to come back to this one from a different angle. Let's see if this works:

m1gsinθ1=Fsinθ1

m2gsinθ2=Fsinθ3

m1gsinθ1=m2gsinθ2

sinθ2=msinθ1

sin17.5 degrees=msin17.5 degrees

0.300=0.300m

1kg=m

b) q=2Lsinθ √((mg/k)tanθ)

q=2(.125)sin17.5√((1(9.8)/(9x10^9))tan17.5)

q=0.0752(1.85x10^-5)

q=1.39 x 10^-6 Coulombs

I don't know if that's right, but it gave me an answer and it'll at least count for partial credit I think if it's not. But if anyone has any comments/corrections I'd love to hear them, since I would rather understand this stuff :rofl:

Hmm. You set m = 1 kg (which is a very large mass for this type of problem!). I thought m was something you were suppose to determine?

However, your expression for q in part (b) looks good. Did you derive this expression?

I got m, from the first set of equations I used. Which got me to

sinθ1=m sinθ2

I thought 1kg was pretty high as well, but seeing as this is due in half an hour and my professor never responded I did what I had to do.

As for part b of the question I took:

Ftsinθ=Fe=(kq^2)/(2Lsinθ)^2
Ftcosθ=Fg=mg

I then divided these two expressions to get

tanθ=(kq^2)/mg(2Lsinθ)^2

q=2Lsinθ√((mg/k)tanθ)

then just plugged everything in(including my 1kg mass that I found in part a)

Crossing my fingers that I did this right :tongue:

nilesthebrave said:
Alright, after working some other problems I tried to come back to this one from a different angle. Let's see if this works:

m1gsinθ1=Fsinθ1

m2gsinθ2=Fsinθ3

m1gsinθ1=m2gsinθ2

sinθ2=msinθ1

m1 = m2, so the masses and g cancel out in the next to last equation. So you just get sinθ1=sinθ2. Can't get the mass this way.
[I don't see where these equations come from.]

Last edited:
I think you're better off just stating that the problem can't be solved as stated.

Anyway, good luck!

Hint:
[tex]
r = 2 L \, \sin \theta
[/tex]

I'm a little puzzled...

m1gsinθ1=Fsinθ1

Therefore given that m is one F should be 9.8N

When using q = q=1.39 x 10^-6 C I'm afraid I get 4810N.

Can you please post a free body diagram. Simply select "Manage Attachments"

Darth Frodo said:
Therefore given that m is one F should be 9.8N

Where did you see this as given?

Well if mgsinθ1 = Fsinθ1

m = 1

gsinθ1 = Fsinθ1

F = g

This was just a test I did to show if m was equal to 1 then q should equal what the OP got but I don't think it does.

The charge and the mass cannot be found independently. All you can do is find the ratio [itex]q^2/m[/itex].

nilesthebrave said:

m1gsinθ1=Fsinθ1

m2gsinθ2=Fsinθ3

m1gsinθ1=m2gsinθ2

sinθ2=msinθ1

sin17.5 degrees=msin17.5 degrees

0.300=0.300m

1kg=m

b) q=2Lsinθ √((mg/k)tanθ)

q=2(.125)sin17.5√((1(9.8)/(9x10^9))tan17.5)

q=0.0752(1.85x10^-5)

q=1.39 x 10^-6 Coulombs

All I did was use first equation to check if the answer of m = 1 was true with the value of q achieved but it wasn't. Therefore the answer can't be right?

Darth Frodo said:
I'm a little puzzled...

m1gsinθ1=Fsinθ1

Darth, This equation given by the OP is not correct. It's not clear which force F stands for here. But whether F stands for the electric force or the tension in the string, it is still not correct.

In the original post, the OP essentially stated the correct relevant equations if θ is measured from the horizontal. However, I suspect that the angle that was given in the problem is measured from the vertical. If so, sinθ and cosθ should be switched in the equations.

Last edited:
Yeah, thanks TSny, I jut wasn't sure and it's really hard to tell without the OP's diagram

Hello nilesthebrave,
I assume your question says " there are two branches of the rope each containing the unknown charge with unknown mass at their ends ".From the free body diagram I get from this interpretation there are three concurrent forces on each charge namely the tension of the string(T),The weight (W) and electrostatic force of repulsion(F).The angles between them are clearly obtainable (using the inclination of one string as given).If you use lami's theorem for equilibrium in case of concurrent forces it is evident that you can at best obtain the ratio of the square of the charge to the mass.This is based on my interpretation though.You need to post a picture of your case.

regards
Yukoel

Thank you very much for all the replies.

I got to class and nobody had even touched this problem, so I may have done it wrong but I at least have some chicken scratches for partial credit. :tongue2:

I've included a diagram of what the problem looks like. It's too late for me to fix my answer but I still want to know how to solve such a problem for the sake of knowledge.

Also, does anybody know of a good Physics 2 textbook? I've ordered the one Berkeley uses since I've heard a few recommendations. Our school uses the W.H. Freeman and Company textbooks for the first three semesters of Physics, and what I have experienced so far with the first book and the first few chapters of the second book makes me longing for something that doesn't drip in suck.

Thanks again everyone!

Sorry for double post, but I forgot to upload the picture of the diagram.

Attachments

• 2012-06-28_20-16-44_705.jpg
    2012-06-28_20-16-44_705.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 614
Sorry again, just not my day for technology. Here's a picture that's oriented properly.

Attachments

• 2012-06-28_20-16-44_705.jpg
    2012-06-28_20-16-44_705.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 515

What is the purpose of finding charge and mass on hanging strings?

The purpose of finding charge and mass on hanging strings is to determine the properties of the system and understand the behavior of the objects involved. This information can also be used to make predictions and calculations in various scientific experiments and applications.

How is charge and mass on hanging strings measured?

Charge and mass on hanging strings can be measured using various techniques such as Coulomb's law, electric field and force measurements, and gravitational force measurements. These methods involve using specialized equipment and formulas to accurately determine the values of charge and mass.

What factors can affect the accuracy of measuring charge and mass on hanging strings?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of measuring charge and mass on hanging strings. These include environmental conditions such as air resistance, the precision of equipment used, and the skill and technique of the person conducting the measurements.

What are some real-life applications of measuring charge and mass on hanging strings?

Measuring charge and mass on hanging strings has various real-life applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and medicine. For example, in physics, this information is crucial in understanding electric and gravitational forces. In engineering, it is used in designing and testing structures and machines. In medicine, it is used in diagnostic imaging and radiation therapy.

Can charge and mass on hanging strings be negative?

Yes, charge and mass on hanging strings can be negative. Negative charge and mass indicate that the object has an opposite charge or direction of motion compared to the reference point. This is a necessary concept in certain calculations and experiments, and it is important to understand the difference between positive and negative charges and masses.