1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding critical numbers

1. Mar 22, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find all critical numbers of:
    g(x)= sqrt(x2-4)
    and
    f(x)= (1)/(x2-9)

2. Relevant equations
    n/a

3. The attempt at a solution
    1) sqrt(x2-4)
    simplified to x(x-2)(x+2)-1/2 (please check)
    and got zeroes as x=0, x=2, x=-2
    and I got confused because if you do g(2) and g(-2) it equals zero. For some reason I can't tell if they are defined or undefined. x=0 works, so that is a critical number. The other two are throwing me off.

2) (1)/(x2-9)
    zeroes were x=-3, x=3, x=0. Plugging 3 and -3 back into f(x) gave me undefined, so I'm pretty sure 0 is the only critical number.

If you could please check the second and help with the first that would be great. Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2010 #2

statdad

Homework Helper

About

"1) sqrt(x2-4)
    simplified to x(x-2)(x+2)-1/2"

- is that supposed to be the derivative of [tex] \sqrt{\,x^2 -4}[/tex]? if so, it isn't correct.

what is your definition of a critical value? (writing it out can help you see the appropriate path)

4. Mar 22, 2010 #3
    I'm honestly not sure what I did there... I re-did my derivative and found

x/((x2-4)1/2)

which would go to x/(((x+2)(x-2))1/2)

and give zeroes of -2,2,0. -2 and 2 would make the denominator 0 and be undefined, leaving 0 as the only CP. Sound right? Sorry if any errors I did that really quick.

5. Mar 22, 2010 #4

statdad

Homework Helper

yes, the derivative is

[tex]
    \frac{x}{\sqrt{\, x^2 - 4}}
    [/tex]

and this is zero or undefined for [itex] 0 \text{ and } \pm 2 [/itex].

Again, what is your definition of a critical number? (same as critical value)

6. Mar 22, 2010 #5
    Definition is:
    x=c is a critical number for f(x) if f(c) is defined and f'(c)=0 or f'(c) is undefined.

So that means 2 and -2 WOULD be CPs?

7. Mar 22, 2010 #6

statdad

Homework Helper

yes.

8. Mar 22, 2010 #7
    And 0 would not be one because it is undefined in f(x) (sqrt of a negative makes it undefined), correct?

And for the second problem, zero was the only one defined in f(x). Therefore it IS indeed a CP.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook