Finding critical values of a function

• Thread starter shanshan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation is about finding the critical numbers of a function using Newton's Method. The attempt at a solution involved factoring the derivative and finding one critical point, but the student is unsure of how to proceed from there. The suggestion is made to consult Wikipedia for more information and it is noted that the remaining real root is between x = 1 and x = 2.
shanshan

Homework Statement

Use Newton's Method to find the critical numbers of the function f(x) = 2x^5 - 5x^2 - 20x + 12 correct to three decimal places

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

f'(x) = 10x^4-10x-20
= 10(x^4-x-2)
= 10(x+1)(x^3-x^2+x-2)

I'm not really sure what Newton's method is, so I just tried factoring the derivative, but I can't factor it any further and I don't know what to do from here. HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org
Wikipedia is your friend:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_method

Well you clearly have one critical point which you don't have to estimate. As for the x^3 - x^2 + x - 2 factor, the discriminant of this is negative, and you have two complex roots and a real root. You can disregard the complex roots. If g(x) = x^3 - x^2 + x - 2, then f(1) = -1 and g(2) = 4, which implies that the remaining real root is between x = 1 and x = 2. Now see if you can garner any useful information for approximating this root from the wikipedia article.

1. What exactly are critical values of a function?

Critical values of a function refer to the points on the graph where the function undergoes a change in concavity or direction. These points can be found by taking the derivative of the function and setting it equal to zero to solve for the x-values.

2. How do I find the critical values of a function?

To find the critical values of a function, you first need to take the derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. Then, solve for the x-values. These values will be the critical values of the function.

3. Why are critical values important?

Critical values are important because they indicate the points on a function where there is a potential for a maximum or minimum value. These points can also help us identify any changes in the behavior of the function.

4. Can a function have more than one critical value?

Yes, a function can have multiple critical values. This can occur when the function has multiple changes in concavity or direction, or when there are multiple solutions to the derivative equation.

5. How do critical values relate to the graph of a function?

The critical values of a function can be seen on the graph as the points where the function changes direction or concavity. These points can also be used to identify the location of maximum or minimum values on the graph.