Why Does My Circuit Calculation Not Match the Given Solution?

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with two resistors of resistance R and two voltage sources, V1 and V2. The current, 'I', is the unknown variable being solved for. Using KVL, the equation -V1-R*I+V2-R*I=0 is obtained, which can be rearranged to V1-V2=-2R*I. By dividing both sides by 2R, the value of 'I' can be determined as (V2-V1)/(2R). The speaker questions if there is something missing in their solution as it does not match the expected result. However, the content of the conversation appears to be correct.
pyroknife
I have attached the circuit of interest.
The 2 resistors of of resistance R. V1 and V2 are the voltage sources. 'I' is the current we're solving for.

Using KVL, we get:
-V1-R*I+V2-R*I=0
Rearranging:
V1-V2=-2R*I
(V2-V1)/(2R)=I

My answer doesn't seem to match the solutions. Am I missing something here?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 333
Physics news on Phys.org
pyroknife said:
I have attached the circuit of interest.
The 2 resistors of of resistance R. V1 and V2 are the voltage sources. 'I' is the current we're solving for.

Using KVL, we get:
-V1-R*I+V2-R*I=0
Rearranging:
V1-V2=-2R*I
(V2-V1)/(2R)=I

My answer doesn't seem to match the solutions. Am I missing something here?
Why? What does the "solution" say ?

(Looks good to me.)

FAQ: Why Does My Circuit Calculation Not Match the Given Solution?

1. What is the definition of current in a circuit?

Current in a circuit is the flow of electric charge, typically measured in amperes (A), through a closed loop.

2. How is current calculated in a circuit?

Current is calculated using Ohm's law, which states that current (I) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the resistance (R), or I = V/R.

3. What factors affect the amount of current in a circuit?

The amount of current in a circuit is affected by the voltage source, the resistance of the circuit, and the number of parallel paths in the circuit.

4. How can current be measured in a circuit?

Current can be measured using an ammeter, which is a device that is placed in series with the circuit and measures the flow of current through it.

5. What happens to current in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the current remains the same at all points in the circuit. This is because there is only one path for the current to flow through, and the amount of current is determined by the voltage source and the total resistance of the circuit.

Back