1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Dimensions

1. Oct 7, 2012 #1
    I've attached the problem.

For S:
    I form the matrix:
    1 0
    0 1
    0 0
    0 0

Thus the dimension is 2.

For T:
    I form the matrix
    0 0
    1 0
    0 1
    0 0
    Thus the dimension is also 2.

Is that the correct idea?

Also what does S ∩ T mean? I couldn't find the symbol in my textbook.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2012 #2
    Yes, the dimension for those matrices are 2, when talking about dimension we either talk about row or column dimension.
    the S ∩ T means all the elements that are common in S and T.

4. Oct 8, 2012 #3
    What does common mean? A column that is included in both matrices?

5. Oct 8, 2012 #4
    Well in this case it would be the rows that both S and T have common elements in.
    Hint: look past the parameters s,t

6. Oct 8, 2012 #5
    Hmmm I don't understand why in this case it would be rows?

The only row in common is the last row (0 0).

7. Oct 9, 2012 #6
    Sorry I misread your problem, since there are no common elements in each vector, there is no dimension for the intersection of S and T because they have no common elements

8. Oct 9, 2012 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First "[itex]\cap[/itex]" is the standard symbol for the "intersection" of two sets- it is the set contain all things that are in both sets. I am surprised that you are working with vector spaces but have not yet learned basic set terminology.

Second, this problem does NOT ask you to find the "intersection" of two vectors- vectors are not sets. It asks you to find the subspaces spanned by the two vectors. Any vector in S is of the form <a, 0, 0, 0> so this is a one dimensional space. In particular, it has second, third and fourth components 0. Any vector in T is of the form <0, b, 0, 0>. In particular, it has first, third and fourth components 0. Any vector in their intersection must be in both and so must sastisfy both conditions. The only vector that does that is <0, 0, 0, 0>, the zero vector. That is a subspace of dimension 0.

9. Oct 9, 2012 #8
    Aren't vectors in S of the form <s 0 0 0>and <0 t 0 0>
    and vectors in T of the form <0 s 0 0> and <0 0 t 0>?

10. Oct 9, 2012 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, S is spanned by <1, 0, 0, 0> and <0, 1, 0, 0> and T is spanned by <0, 1, 0, 0> and <0, 0, 1, 0>. And since those are independent, they are bases for the subspaces so each has dimension 2.

The fact that <0, 1, 0, 0> is in both of those should make this problem of the intersection easy!

11. Oct 9, 2012 #10
    Oh so the dimension of S∩T is just 1.

12. Oct 11, 2012 #11
    For this case, when you say that the dimension of S∩T is one, would it be necessary to list the vector 0 1 0 0 as the one that exists in both? I guess I'm not sure how to to state it. I can obviously just say dim(S∩T)=1, but do I need to explain it in words or justify it?

13. Oct 11, 2012 #12

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Typically, with a problem of this kind you should justify your answer. Any vector in S is of the form a(1, 0, 0, 0)+ b(0, 1, 0, 0) and any vector in T is of the form c(0, 1, 0, 0)+ d(0, 0, 1, 0). Any vector that is in their intersection can be written both ways so we must have a(1, 0, 0, 0)+ b(0, 1, 0, 0)= c(0, 1, 0, 0)+ d(0, 0, 1, 0) for some numbers a, b, c, and d. That is the same as (a, b, 0, 0)= (0, c, d, 0) so we must have a= 0, b= c, d= 0.

(Be very careful with your wording. You cannot talk about "the vector that exists in both" because the intersection, being a subspace, contains an infinite number of vectors.)

14. Oct 11, 2012 #13
    Yeah, I just talked to my professor about it and he said the dimension is the size of a basis. By "size of a basis," does that just mean how many vectors span S∩T, which is likewise the dimension of S∩T. If so the basis of S∩T is spanned by the vector [ 0 1 0 0]^t. Thus the size of the basis is 1 and the dimension is 1.

Is that the right idea?

15. Oct 11, 2012 #14
    oops

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  16. Oct 11, 2012 #15
    I think you got it. [0 1 0 0]^t span both S and T, thus dim(SnT)=1.

I could be wrong though. Anyone else verify?

17. Oct 11, 2012 #16
    Hmmm. There's a relationship dim(U+V)=dim(U)+dim(V)-dim(U ∩ T)
    Where U is your S and V is your T.
    Dim(U+V)=2=2+2-dim(U ∩ T)
    Which makes dim(U ∩ T)=2

18. Oct 12, 2012 #17
    hmmm That equation is saying there's 2, but i think hallsofivy says there's 1. I'm really confused. That equation does make sense tho, U+V is spanned by 2 linearly independent vectors.

19. Oct 13, 2012 #18

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, U+ V (Your S+ T) is spanned by three linearly independent vectors {< 1, 0, 0, 0>, <0, 1, 0, 0>, and <0, 0, 1, 0>, the three vectors you gave initially. So dim(U+ V)= 3, not two.
    so dim(U+ V)= 3= 2+ 2- dim(U∩V)= 2+ 2- 1.

20. Oct 13, 2012 #19
    Oh I think I misunderstood the meaning of dim(U+V). I thought you add U+V then find the dimension.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook