Dimensions of Intersection of Matrices S and T

• Thread starter pyroknife
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dimensions
In summary: The dimension of the intersection, dim(S∩T), is the size of a basis, or the number of vectors that span S∩T.
pyroknife
I've attached the problem.

For S:
I form the matrix:
1 0
0 1
0 0
0 0

Thus the dimension is 2.

For T:
I form the matrix
0 0
1 0
0 1
0 0
Thus the dimension is also 2.

Is that the correct idea?

Also what does S ∩ T mean? I couldn't find the symbol in my textbook.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 459
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the dimension for those matrices are 2, when talking about dimension we either talk about row or column dimension.
the S ∩ T means all the elements that are common in S and T.

What does common mean? A column that is included in both matrices?

Well in this case it would be the rows that both S and T have common elements in.
Hint: look past the parameters s,t

Hmmm I don't understand why in this case it would be rows?

The only row in common is the last row (0 0).

pyroknife said:
Hmmm I don't understand why in this case it would be rows?

The only row in common is the last row (0 0).

Sorry I misread your problem, since there are no common elements in each vector, there is no dimension for the intersection of S and T because they have no common elements

First "[itex]\cap[/itex]" is the standard symbol for the "intersection" of two sets- it is the set contain all things that are in both sets. I am surprised that you are working with vector spaces but have not yet learned basic set terminology.

Second, this problem does NOT ask you to find the "intersection" of two vectors- vectors are not sets. It asks you to find the subspaces spanned by the two vectors. Any vector in S is of the form <a, 0, 0, 0> so this is a one dimensional space. In particular, it has second, third and fourth components 0. Any vector in T is of the form <0, b, 0, 0>. In particular, it has first, third and fourth components 0. Any vector in their intersection must be in both and so must sastisfy both conditions. The only vector that does that is <0, 0, 0, 0>, the zero vector. That is a subspace of dimension 0.

Aren't vectors in S of the form <s 0 0 0>and <0 t 0 0>
and vectors in T of the form <0 s 0 0> and <0 0 t 0>?

Yes, S is spanned by <1, 0, 0, 0> and <0, 1, 0, 0> and T is spanned by <0, 1, 0, 0> and <0, 0, 1, 0>. And since those are independent, they are bases for the subspaces so each has dimension 2.

The fact that <0, 1, 0, 0> is in both of those should make this problem of the intersection easy!

Oh so the dimension of S∩T is just 1.

For this case, when you say that the dimension of S∩T is one, would it be necessary to list the vector 0 1 0 0 as the one that exists in both? I guess I'm not sure how to to state it. I can obviously just say dim(S∩T)=1, but do I need to explain it in words or justify it?

Typically, with a problem of this kind you should justify your answer. Any vector in S is of the form a(1, 0, 0, 0)+ b(0, 1, 0, 0) and any vector in T is of the form c(0, 1, 0, 0)+ d(0, 0, 1, 0). Any vector that is in their intersection can be written both ways so we must have a(1, 0, 0, 0)+ b(0, 1, 0, 0)= c(0, 1, 0, 0)+ d(0, 0, 1, 0) for some numbers a, b, c, and d. That is the same as (a, b, 0, 0)= (0, c, d, 0) so we must have a= 0, b= c, d= 0.

(Be very careful with your wording. You cannot talk about "the vector that exists in both" because the intersection, being a subspace, contains an infinite number of vectors.)

Yeah, I just talked to my professor about it and he said the dimension is the size of a basis. By "size of a basis," does that just mean how many vectors span S∩T, which is likewise the dimension of S∩T. If so the basis of S∩T is spanned by the vector [ 0 1 0 0]^t. Thus the size of the basis is 1 and the dimension is 1.

Is that the right idea?

oops

Last edited:
I think you got it. [0 1 0 0]^t span both S and T, thus dim(SnT)=1.

I could be wrong though. Anyone else verify?

Hmmm. There's a relationship dim(U+V)=dim(U)+dim(V)-dim(U ∩ T)
Where U is your S and V is your T.
Dim(U+V)=2=2+2-dim(U ∩ T)
Which makes dim(U ∩ T)=2

hmmm That equation is saying there's 2, but i think hallsofivy says there's 1. I'm really confused. That equation does make sense tho, U+V is spanned by 2 linearly independent vectors.

charlies1902 said:
Hmmm. There's a relationship dim(U+V)=dim(U)+dim(V)-dim(U ∩ T)
Where U is your S and V is your T.
Dim(U+V)=2=2+2-dim(U ∩ T)
Which makes dim(U ∩ T)=2

pyroknife said:
hmmm That equation is saying there's 2, but i think hallsofivy says there's 1. I'm really confused. That equation does make sense tho, U+V is spanned by 2 linearly independent vectors.
No, U+ V (Your S+ T) is spanned by three linearly independent vectors {< 1, 0, 0, 0>, <0, 1, 0, 0>, and <0, 0, 1, 0>, the three vectors you gave initially. So dim(U+ V)= 3, not two.
so dim(U+ V)= 3= 2+ 2- dim(U∩V)= 2+ 2- 1.

Oh I think I misunderstood the meaning of dim(U+V). I thought you add U+V then find the dimension.

1. What is the significance of finding dimensions of S & T?

Finding the dimensions of S & T is important for understanding the underlying structure and properties of these mathematical objects. It allows us to better analyze and manipulate them in various applications, such as physics, engineering, and data analysis.

2. How do you find the dimensions of S & T?

The dimensions of S & T can be determined by finding the number of independent basis vectors needed to span the space. This can be done through various methods, such as row reduction, eigenvalue decomposition, or using linear transformations.

3. Can the dimensions of S & T be different?

Yes, the dimensions of S & T can be different. This is because the dimensions of a space are determined by the number of independent basis vectors needed to span it, and different spaces can have different numbers of basis vectors.

4. What if S & T have an infinite number of dimensions?

If S & T have an infinite number of dimensions, it means that they are not finite-dimensional spaces. This can happen in certain cases, such as in functional analysis or Hilbert spaces.

5. Are there any practical applications for finding dimensions of S & T?

Yes, there are many practical applications for finding dimensions of S & T. For example, in physics, the dimensions of physical quantities can be determined using dimensional analysis. In machine learning, the dimensions of data can be reduced to improve the performance of algorithms. In engineering, the dimensions of a system can be analyzed to optimize its design.