1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding electric potential difference to stop a electron between 2 plates

1. May 11, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Question: an electron with a velocity of 5.0x10[tex]^{}6[/tex] m/s is injected into a parallel plate apparatus through a hole in the positive plate. it moves across the vacuum between the plates. what would the potential difference have to be in order to stop the electron 25% of the way across the gap?

2. Relevant equations
    conservation of energy eqations and electromagnetic equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    if we set the base line at the positive plate:
    E[tex]_{}kinetic 1[/tex] + E[tex]_{}electric potential 1[/tex] = E [tex]_{}electric potential 2[/tex]

Vq + 1/2 mV[tex]^{}2[/tex] = Vq(0.75) <---- (to account for the 25%)

V(-1.6 x 10[tex]^{}-19[/tex] ) + 1/2 (9.1 x 10[tex]^{}-31[/tex] )(5x10[tex]^{}6[/tex]) [tex]^{}2[/tex] = V(-1.6x10[tex]^{}-19[/tex])(.75)

when i do this my answer does not come out to what it is supposed to (which is 285 j/c)
    what am i doing wrong
  2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2008 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I get 285V when I work through your numbers. Your doing the problem correctly, but you may have made an error in computing the numbers. Check your calculations for an error.
  4. May 12, 2008 #3
    kewl thanks for confirming that
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?