Finding f(0) for the following function

• Thread starter KataKoniK
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation discusses a function f which satisfies a given equation and has a limit of f(x)/x=1 as x approaches 0. The participants also discuss finding f(0) and proving that f is differentiable at 0. They suggest setting x=y=0 to find f(0) and using the definition of the derivative to prove differentiability. Some participants also mention using the fact that 0+0=0 to find f(0).
KataKoniK
Hi,

Can anyone here help me do the following question? I tried isolating f(x) and f(y), but it doesn't really seem to go anywhere.

Q: Suppose f is a functionb which satisfies

f(x+y) = f(x) + f(y) +xy - x^3y + xy^3 - y^4 for all x, y, are elements of real numbers. Suppose, furthermore, that

lim f(x) / x = 1
x -> 0

a) Find f(0)
b) Show that f is differentiable at 0 (any tips)?

Physics news on Phys.org
a) What happens if you set x = y? How can this be used to find f(0)?
b) Yes, simply use f'(a) = lim(x->a) (f(x) - f(a)) / (x - a). After you've found f(0), this expression can be simplified in a nice way.

I think the fact that for all x, x+0=x would probably help.

Actually, just saying that [itex]lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{f(x)}{x}[/itex] exists tells you what f(0) is!

HallsofIvy said:
Actually, just saying that [itex]lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{f(x)}{x}[/itex] exists tells you what f(0) is!

Asuming you've already shown (or were given) that f is continuous as 0.

To find f(0) you can also use the fact that 0+0=0.

can someone please actually post the answer to this question?...i tried to do this, but i still don't exactly how to do this question with the hints provided, thanks

You wish to find f(0), so just fill in x=y=0 and see what you get.

f(x+y) = f(x) + f(y) +xy - x^3y + xy^3 - y^4
for x=y=0 becomes
f(0)=2f(0)

what does this say about f(0)?

oh, i see, i get it now, thanks
and for part b), I'm still having trouble understanding, and you provide an answer to this too, thanks alot

Write down the definition of the derivative at x=0.

Thanks everyone.

How would I find if the function is differntiable for all x and then find f'(x)?

No seriously: Write down the definition of the derivative at x=0.
The answer should pop in your face.

'Definition': The derivative of a function f at a point x is:
[tex]\lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}[/tex]

FAQ: Finding f(0) for the following function

1. What does f(0) represent in a function?

f(0) represents the value of the function at the input, or independent variable, of 0. This means that when the input is 0, the output of the function will be f(0).

2. How do you find f(0) for a given function?

To find f(0), substitute 0 for the input, or independent variable, in the function. Then, evaluate the function using the given input to find the output, or dependent variable, at f(0).

3. Why is finding f(0) important in mathematics and science?

In mathematics and science, functions are used to model real-world phenomena and make predictions. Finding f(0) allows us to understand the behavior of the function at its starting point and make accurate predictions based on the function's behavior.

4. Can f(0) ever be undefined?

Yes, f(0) can be undefined if the function is not defined at x = 0. This may occur if the function has a vertical asymptote or if the function is not defined for x = 0.

5. How does finding f(0) relate to the x-intercept of a function?

Finding f(0) is equivalent to finding the y-coordinate of the x-intercept of a function. This is because the x-intercept is the point at which the function crosses the x-axis, or when the input (x) is equal to 0, the output (y) is equal to f(0).