Finding Final Velocity: Calculating the Velocity of a Rock Tossed Straight Up

In summary, the problem states that a rock is tossed straight up with an initial velocity of 19 m/s and falls into a 10 m deep hole. The question is asking for the rock's velocity as it hits the bottom of the hole. The person asking the question is confused about the initial velocity and assumes it should be 0 since the rock is initially at rest. However, it is stated that the rock is thrown with a velocity of 19 m/s, implying that it had some acceleration to reach that velocity. The height of the person throwing the rock is also ignored in this problem.
Mei_797
I am not good at typing out formulas and equations on the internet, so I took pictures of what I did instead. I hope that's not too informal.

1. Homework Statement

A rock is tossed straight up with a velocity of 19 m/s. When it returns it fell into a 10 m deep hole.

Q: What is the rock's velocity as it hits the bottom of the hole?

Homework Equations

ndr9xc.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

11hwbyt.jpg
So in the end I figure out that I am suppose to plug 19 m/s as my initial velocity, but I don't get why.
If the rock is tossed straight up should it not means that the initial velocity = 0 because initially the rock is at rest?[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
According to the OP, "A rock is tossed straight up with a velocity of 19 m/s."

You can't write a plainer statement than that. IDK how you could assume that the rock is at rest, which implies no movement of any kind.

Perhaps you are concerned because going from rest to 19m/s instantly would imply infinite acceleration. This is an issue that is always ignored in such problems. Just assume that the rock had some acceleration that got it up to 19m/s at the starting point and go from there.

If you pay careful attention to the problem you can see that there is another thing being ignored, and that is the height of the person throwing the rock. Even though the statement implies that it is being thrown by a person, who would be more than zero meters tall, you are supposed to assume that it leaves the ground going 19m/s. Again, this is just something that is usually ignored in this kind of problem.

1. What is the definition of final velocity?

Final velocity is the speed and direction of an object at the end of its motion or after a particular force has acted upon it.

2. How is final velocity calculated?

Final velocity can be calculated using the equation vf = vi + at, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. It can also be calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the initial velocity and twice the product of the acceleration and displacement.

3. What factors affect the final velocity of an object?

The final velocity of an object can be affected by factors such as the initial velocity, acceleration, and time. Other factors that can impact final velocity include air resistance, friction, and external forces acting on the object.

4. How does final velocity relate to kinetic energy?

Final velocity is directly related to the kinetic energy of an object. The kinetic energy of an object is equal to one-half of its mass multiplied by the square of its velocity. This means that as the final velocity of an object increases, so does its kinetic energy.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating final velocity?

Calculating final velocity is important in many fields of science and engineering. It is commonly used in physics to determine the motion of objects, in aerospace engineering to design spacecraft trajectories, and in automotive engineering to analyze the performance of vehicles. It is also used in sports such as track and field to measure the speed of athletes.