Finding general solution of non-linear, homogeneous ODE

In summary, the student is trying to find the general solution to x3y'''-9x2y''+76xy'=0 but is confused because there are Xs in the problem. They should use y=yc+yp which is the right way to solve this equation. Once they know how to solve for y, they can find the roots of the equation and solve for Yc.
ohspyro89

Homework Statement

Find the general solution to x3y'''-9x2y''+76xy'=0

Homework Equations

I'm kind of confused on where to start. I'd suppose you'd throw in y=emx but I'm not positive since there are Xs in there. Once I know what to do with the x terms, I can just find all the roots and that'll give me Yc

Using y=yc+yp is the right way... right?

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't got an attempt yet, because I'm unsure how to start!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You might want to try a series solution, meaning set [tex] y = \sum a_n x^n [/tex] and find the [tex] a_n [/tex]

I have no idea how to do that.

What we have covered is Undetermined Coefficients, variation of parameters, and Cauchy-Euler Equations...

We definitely haven't hit series stuff. Any other ideas?

If those are the only methods you know so far, you might want to check with your instructor if there's a typo in the problem statement.

Woops.

Should be

x3y'''-9x2y''+76xy'=0

OK, so that's a Cauchy-Euler type of equation.

That is a "Cauchy-Euler" equation. Rather than using [itex]e^{rx}[/itex] you should try [itex]x^r[/itex] as a trial solution. This is because the substitution t= ln(x) will change this to a "constant coefficients" equation for which [itex]e^{rt}[/itex] is a good trial solution.

If [itex]y= x^r[/itex] then [itex]y'= rx^{r-1}[/itex], [itex]y''= r(r-1)x^{r-2}[/itex], and [itex]y'''= r(r-1)(r-2)x^{r-3}[/itex] so your equation comes to [itex]x^3(r)(r-1)(r-2)x^{r-3}- 9x^2(r)(r-1)x^{r-2}+ 76x(r)x^{r-1}= (r(r-1)(r-2)- 9r(r-1)+ 76r)x^r= 0[/itex]. For all x except 0, you must have [itex]r(r-1)(r-2)- 9r(r-1)+ 76r= 0[/itex]. Of course, it is easy to see that r= 0 is a solution to that so it quickly reduces to a quaratic.

Thanks! I'm sure I'll be back with more questions on this problem.

But for another one, am I correct when doing undetermined coefficients that for 50e6x-14cos(x)-175sin(x) that M=6, +-i, +-i?

ohspyro89 said:
Woops.

Should be

x3y'''-9x2y''+76xy'=0

It might be simpler to let y' = z and divide both sides by x (for x =/= 0), to get:
x^2 z'' - 9x z' + 76 z = 0.

RGV

IMAG0214.jpg

Am I on the right track?

Also, do I just derive the final function since I substituted y'=z?

You made a mistake applying the quadratic equation.

To find y, you integrate the function you get for z(x). You may find you would have been better off finding y(x) directly.

Last edited:
Well, I took the advice as it looked easier, but I see what you mean. Integrating this is stupid, thank god for TI-89.

I'm getting a terribly ugly answer though, but I think it's correct.

How's this look? I fixed the quadratic I think.
IMAG0215.jpg

You dropped the arbitrary constants when you integrated. You still need them in your final answer, and you can absorb those numerical constants on each term into them. Other than that, it looks good.

You should try substituting the solution back into the original DE to make sure it works.

Oh, I forgot to put them back in once I got the integral off of my calculator.

Will do though, thanks for the help! Differential equations will be the death of me, I'm tired of getting terrible grades.

Wolfram Alpha is also good for checking answers.

What is a non-linear, homogeneous ODE?

A non-linear, homogeneous ODE is a type of ordinary differential equation where the dependent variable and its derivatives are raised to powers or multiplied together, and the equation is equal to zero. The equation is considered homogeneous because it does not contain any terms that are independent of the dependent variable.

What does it mean to find the general solution of a non-linear, homogeneous ODE?

The general solution of a non-linear, homogeneous ODE is a function that satisfies the differential equation for all possible values of the independent variable. It is a solution that takes into account all possible initial conditions and can be expressed in terms of arbitrary constants.

What are the steps to finding the general solution of a non-linear, homogeneous ODE?

The steps to finding the general solution of a non-linear, homogeneous ODE include:
1. Identify the dependent variable and its derivatives
2. Rewrite the equation in a standard form, with all terms on one side and the constant on the other
3. Use integration to solve for the dependent variable
4. Add in any initial conditions to solve for the arbitrary constants
5. Express the solution in terms of the arbitrary constants to get the general solution.

Are there any specific techniques for solving non-linear, homogeneous ODEs?

Yes, there are various techniques that can be used to solve non-linear, homogeneous ODEs, including substitution, separation of variables, and integrating factors. The specific technique used will depend on the form of the equation and the techniques that the individual is comfortable with.

Why is it important to find the general solution of a non-linear, homogeneous ODE?

Finding the general solution of a non-linear, homogeneous ODE allows us to fully understand the behavior of the system described by the equation. It also allows us to find specific solutions for different sets of initial conditions, which can be useful in real-world applications. Additionally, the general solution can provide insights into the behavior of the system and can be used to make predictions about its future behavior.