Finding loss of energy in collision

In summary, the collision between a particle of mass 1 and a stationary particle of mass 2 results in the striking particle recoiling at right angles to its original motion direction. The fraction of the kinetic energy lost in a collision is 2/5.
Saitama

Homework Statement

A particle of mass ##m_1## experienced a perfectly elastic collision with a stationary particle of mass ##m_2##. What fraction of the kinetic energy does the striking particle lose, if it recoils at right angles to its original motion direction.

(Ans: ##2m_1/(m_1+m_2)## )

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let the initial velocity of ##m_1## be ##v## and let the x-axis be along the initial direction of motion. After collision, the first particle flies off at right angles and let that direction be y-axis. The vertical component of velocity of ##m_2## after collision has the direction opposite to that of ##m_1##. Conserving momentum in x direction:
$$m_1v=m_2v_{2x}$$
Conserving momentum in y direction:
$$m_1v_1=m_2v_{2y}$$
where ##v_1## is the final velocity of ##m_1##. I still need one more equation. :confused:

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What quantity, apart from momentum, is conserved in a perfectly elastic collision?

Curious3141 said:
What quantity, apart from momentum, is conserved in a perfectly elastic collision?

Energy. But that gives a very dirty equation. I have seen some problems on one dimensional collisions where coefficient of restitution is used to find another equation. Is it possible to apply the same here as I think it reduces the algebra work greatly.

Pranav-Arora said:
Energy. But that gives a very dirty equation. I have seen some problems on one dimensional collisions where coefficient of restitution is used to find another equation. Is it possible to apply the same here as I think it reduces the algebra work greatly.

Energy, as in total energy, is *always* conserved.

In a perfectly elastic collision, kinetic energy is specifically conserved.

The algebra is fairly easy to work out here. Took me less than 10 lines and barely 5 minutes.

Remember that the final speed of ##m_2## is given by the Pythagorean theorem. Deal only in squares of the velocity components, and everything simplifies quickly.

And always keep in mind what you're trying to find, which is the ratio ##\displaystyle \frac{v^2 - v_1^2}{v^2}##.

Likes 1 person
Curious3141 said:
Energy, as in total energy, is *always* conserved.

In a perfectly elastic collision, kinetic energy is specifically conserved.

The algebra is fairly easy to work out here. Took me less than 10 lines and barely 5 minutes.

Remember that the final speed of ##m_2## is given by the Pythagorean theorem. Deal only in squares of the velocity components, and everything simplifies quickly.

And always keep in mind what you're trying to find, which is the ratio ##\displaystyle \frac{v^2 - v_1^2}{v^2}##.

I have solved the problem using the energy approach, thanks a lot Curious! :smile:

Pranav-Arora said:
I have solved the problem using the energy approach, thanks a lot Curious! :smile:

You're welcome, and I'm glad you solved it. Sorry I couldn't stay up to continue to help, but I need early nights as I've not been in the best of health lately.

Curious3141 said:
You're welcome, and I'm glad you solved it. Sorry I couldn't stay up to continue to help, but I need early nights as I've not been in the best of health lately.

I hope you get well soon. :)

1. What is the concept of "loss of energy" in a collision?

Loss of energy in a collision refers to the decrease in the amount of energy present before and after the collision. This loss can occur due to various factors such as friction, heat, sound, and deformation of objects involved in the collision.

2. How is loss of energy calculated in a collision?

The amount of energy lost in a collision can be calculated using the Law of Conservation of Energy, which states that the total energy of a closed system remains constant. By comparing the initial and final energies of the system, we can determine the loss of energy.

3. What are some real-life examples of loss of energy in collisions?

Some common examples of loss of energy in collisions include car accidents, ball bouncing on the ground, falling objects, and billiards. In all these cases, energy is lost due to various factors, such as heat generated from friction and sound produced from the collision.

4. How does the type of collision affect the loss of energy?

The type of collision can significantly impact the amount of energy lost. In elastic collisions, where objects bounce off each other, the loss of energy is relatively low. In contrast, in inelastic collisions, where objects stick together, more energy is lost due to deformation and heat generated from friction.

5. Can the loss of energy in a collision be prevented?

In most cases, it is not possible to prevent the loss of energy in a collision. However, measures can be taken to minimize the loss, such as using materials that reduce friction or designing objects to absorb impact and reduce deformation. In some cases, conservation of energy can also be applied to reduce the loss of energy in a collision.