1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Mechanical Energy without knowing Efficiency

1. Mar 10, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 65 kg man goes for a 72 minute hike up a mountain that is 400.0 metres in vertical height. The energy consumption rate for this climb is 10.1 kcal/min. What is the Mechanical Energy (useful work energy) expended for this hike? (in kcal)

2. Relevant equations
    ME= (Efficiency x Eout)/100

3. The attempt at a solution
    10.1 x 72 = 727.2 (Therefore Eout=727.2) But I don't know the efficiency! So how do I figure this out?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How much energy must the man expend to lift his mass up the mountain?

4. Mar 10, 2013 #3
    727.2 kcal? But that is the total energy expended, including heat energy. ME=(efficiency x 727.2)/100. That's all I know!

5. Mar 10, 2013 #4
    I asked on another forum, and they said ME= mgh, but according to my teacher, PE (potential energy)=mgh, and I'm looking for Mechanical energy!

6. Mar 10, 2013 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

energy is energy.

The man expended so many kcal thru his metabolism while walking up the hill. That you have calculated.

However, in moving his mass up the hill, a certain portion of this energy was consumed in moving his mass up the hill against gravity. This energy is equal to the change in gravitational potential from the bottom of the hill to the top.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted