Finding Moment of Inertia - Rigid Rod Plus Disc System

In summary, the homework statement states that a rigid rod-plus-disc system has an equation for moment of inertia, but it is not correct.
MEJJ

Homework Statement

Consider a rigid rod-plus-disc system
2qu4wv7.jpg

Find the moment of inertia of the pendulum as it freely rotates about the point P. The rod has a length 0.62 m, and the disc has a radius half that. The pivot at P is a fourth of the way from the end of the rod. The rod has a mass of 1.94 kg and the disc is twice as massive with uniform mass distribution.

Answer in units of kg · m2.

Homework Equations

Irod = (1/12)*m*R2
Idisc = (1/2)*2m*(R/2)2
Ix-axis parallel = m*[(R - (¼*R))/2]² + m*R --> Are these correct?

The Attempt at a Solution

Itotal = Irod + Idisc + Ix-axis parallel

Irod = (1/12)*1.94kg*0.62m2
Idisc = (1/2)*(2*1.94kg)*(0.62m/2)2
Ix-axis parallel = 1.94kg*[(0.62m - (¼*0.62m))/2]² + 1.94kg*0.62m

Not sure if I've correctly accounted for Pivot Point P.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi MEJJ! Welcome to PF! :smile:
MEJJ said:
Find the moment of inertia of the pendulum as it freely rotates about the point P. The rod has a length 0.62 m, and the disc has a radius half that. The pivot at P is a fourth of the way from the end of the rod. The rod has a mass of 1.94 kg and the disc is twice as massive with uniform mass distribution.

Ix-axis parallel = m*[(R - (¼*R))/2]² + m*R --> Are these correct?

Itotal = Irod + Idisc + Ix-axis parallel

Irod = (1/12)*1.94kg*0.62m2
Idisc = (1/2)*(2*1.94kg)*(0.62m/2)2
Ix-axis parallel = 1.94kg*[(0.62m - (¼*0.62m))/2]² + 1.94kg*0.62m

Not sure if I've correctly accounted for Pivot Point P.

I don't follow your Ix-axis parallel equation :confused:

Is that supposed to be the parallel axis theorem ?

That says that I = Ic.o.m. + md2, where d is the distance from the pivot to the centre of mass.

(and btw R is .31, not .62 :wink:)

Hi & Thanks, Tiny-Tim!

Yes, by "Ix-axis parallel", I really meant the equation for Parallel Axis Theorem.

You're right: R is 0.31m, not 0.62m.

Even so, I take it my Parallel Axis Theorem is not correct for the situation?

Hi MEJJ! :smile:
MEJJ said:
Even so, I take it my Parallel Axis Theorem is not correct for the situation?

It's the right theorem, but you've done it completely wrong. :redface:

So IParallel Axis Theorem = m*[(R - (¼*R))/2]² + m*R for the rod & disc is not at all correct? I am only correct in needing to use the theorem-formula?

MEJJ said:
So IParallel Axis Theorem = m*[(R - (¼*R))/2]² + m*R for the rod & disc is not at all correct? I am only correct in needing to use the theorem-formula?

Your (R - (¼*R))/2 is 3R/8 … what is that supposed to be? :confused:

And your m*R isn't even the right dimensions.

These should both be md2, where d (different for each one) is the distance from the pivot to the centre of mass of the part in question.

And I'm off to bed now :zzz:​

Ehh, I don't know what I'm doing. Time to visit the professor. Thanks for trying to help.

1. What is the physical meaning of moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It takes into account both the mass and distribution of mass of an object, and is often compared to the concept of inertia in linear motion.

2. How is the moment of inertia calculated for a rigid rod plus disc system?

The moment of inertia for a rigid rod plus disc system can be calculated by using the formula I = (1/12)ML2 + MD2, where M is the mass of the rod, L is the length of the rod, and D is the diameter of the disc. This formula takes into account the moment of inertia for both the rod and the disc, which are added together to get the total moment of inertia for the system.

3. How does the distribution of mass affect the moment of inertia in this system?

The distribution of mass in a rigid rod plus disc system can greatly affect the moment of inertia. If the mass is concentrated closer to the axis of rotation, the moment of inertia will be smaller. On the other hand, if the mass is distributed further from the axis of rotation, the moment of inertia will be larger. This is because the mass further from the axis of rotation has a greater effect on the rotational motion of the system.

4. How does the moment of inertia affect the rotational motion of the system?

The moment of inertia directly affects how easy or difficult it is to rotate the system. A larger moment of inertia means more force is needed to achieve the same rotational acceleration as a system with a smaller moment of inertia. This is similar to how more force is needed to accelerate a heavier object in linear motion.

5. How can the moment of inertia be used in real-world applications?

The moment of inertia is an important concept in many real-world applications, such as designing machines and vehicles that rotate, such as car wheels and helicopter blades. It is also used in engineering and physics to analyze and predict the rotational motion of systems, and in mathematics to solve problems involving torque and angular velocity.