1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding net forces when 3 charged objects are involved

1. May 3, 2010 #1
    I'm having trouble understanding these kinda questions. I'm assuming this kinda thing applies to all types of force when theres 3 objects exerting the force so its fairly important to know. Lets say I have 3 charges of 11x10-6C that make up an equilateral triangle.
    [PLAIN]http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/8784/chargex.jpg [Broken]
    I've calculated the force of repulsion between 2 of these charges and its 48.4N. I don't really know what to do from here on. I can see that the x components of forces AB and AC cancel each other out and their y components add to 83.8N. Does that mean the net force acting on each of these 3 charges is 83.8N?

Also when it comes to things like these is it just a matter of knowing the x and y components involved then using them to get the resultant?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2010 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

OK. (I'll take your word for it.)
    Yes.

To find the net force on any of the charges, just find the individual forces acting on that charge (due to the other charges) and add them up to find the resultant. How you find the resultant is up to you. (There are several ways to add vectors.) What you did was perfect.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook