LHC Collisions: Events, Energy & Finding New Particles

In summary, the Higgs Boson was found from a blip in the graph of Events vs Energy at about 125Gev. The excess of events indicates the existence of a particle and the uncertainty principle has exceptions.
Zman
What do ‘events’ refer to when collisions occur at the LHC.

The Higgs Boson was found from a blip in the graph of Events vs Energy at about 125Gev.

It shows an excess of events at this energy.

But what events are in excess and why does this indicate the existence of a particle?

Physics news on Phys.org
An event is what happens in a single collision plus whatever happened at the same time (typically some more collisions for ATLAS and CMS).

I wrote an Insights article about finding new particles.

Likes pinball1970, berkeman, vanhees71 and 2 others
For any others with the same question, the link given above by mfb 'an Insights article' has a couple of sub links which I also found helpful.
Thanks

I read your article too, very interesting. But one thing struck me as funny. On other threads in the forum discussing QM it's all probabilities, wave functions. How does that square with shooting individual particulars in a physical object (the LHC) that actually really do collide? And how are these individual particles guided along the collider so precisely that literally two of them going in opposite directions can be aimed enough to collide? What happened to all the probability? (I know HOW they're aimed, that's not what I'm asking about.)

Great question. Sometimes it is the questions that are more enlightening than the answers. Although as in QM I think we need to apply some probabilities here. I guess that at such high energies it will be said that there is no uncertainty in the position and momentum of the Hadrons. But I really don't know.
The Heisenberg uncertainty principle has apparently been shown to have exceptions;
https://resonance.is/new-measuremen...ental-evidence-non-orthodox-quantum-theories/

Carpe Physicum said:
I read your article too, very interesting. But one thing struck me as funny. On other threads in the forum discussing QM it's all probabilities, wave functions. How does that square with shooting individual particulars in a physical object (the LHC) that actually really do collide? And how are these individual particles guided along the collider so precisely that literally two of them going in opposite directions can be aimed enough to collide? What happened to all the probability? (I know HOW they're aimed, that's not what I'm asking about.)
It is random chance. At the collision point the beams have a diameter of tens of micrometers - similar to the width of a human hair, and billions of times wider than a proton. Each bunch has about 100 billion protons (initially, goes down over time) - out of these, about 50 collide with one of the 100 billion protons from the opposite beam when they cross at the experiments (numbers for ATLAS and CMS. ~1-3 collisions in LHCb, 0-1 in ALICE). A tiny collision chance for any given pair of protons, but many pairs of protons.

Ok but see, how does THAT square with probability in locating particles. How do they know only two collided? I'm assuming there's a tiny collision chance for say three protons to collide. And then as far as guiding them, do experimenters just not worry about, or take into account, say the Copenhagen Interpretation that there are no actual particles, just their wave functions (well, that version of the CI). Or does it just not matter. Physicists basically spray two hoses at each other and see what comes of it.

Carpe Physicum said:
How do they know only two collided?
You look where the tracks come from. Here is an example from ATLAS with two collisions:

atlas2009-vp1-run142165-evt1115603-pileup-web.png

Things get more difficult if you have 50 collisions but the idea is still the same.

The uncertainty relation is irrelevant, the corresponding uncertainties are orders of magnitude smaller than the resolution of the detectors.
Carpe Physicum said:
Physicists basically spray two hoses at each other and see what comes of it.
That.

Attachments

• atlas2009-vp1-run142165-evt1115603-pileup-web.png
    atlas2009-vp1-run142165-evt1115603-pileup-web.png
    39.8 KB · Views: 735
mfb said:
Here is an example from ATLAS with two collisions:

Ah...the good old days...

Vanadium 50 said:
No, the good old days were the bubble-chamber days when you could scan ten or so pictures before finding a single useful event. With a neutrino beam, that is. :oldwink:

Vanadium 50 said:
You can go to LHCb, they still have just a few collisions per bunch crossing ;). Now the average is somewhere close to 1, after the upgrade they will get about 5.

Reading a great book called "The Large Hadron Collider" by Don Lincoln. Very well written and at the right level, not too watered down. It's amazing technology but I'm also struck by how, how to put it, how brute force the detectors are. All the types still seem like basically sophisticated bubble chambers, not in their technology per se, but by the means of actually detecting particles. Or should I say detecting their effects. Of course how else would you detect their effects except how they actually do now. But I feel like there should be a Star Trek movie scene where Scotty is inspecting the warp core, and he giggles, gee just think of how they used to use nuclear energy, hee hee. Kinda like that but about particle detectors...gee just think how they used to actually slam particles together like billiard balls and watch the pieces fly into slabs of metal and plastic. Hee hee if they only knew how to X. Not knocking the LHC by any means though, don't get me wrong. Utterly amazing technology and amazing people who design and build these machines.

mfb said:
The uncertainty relation is irrelevant, the corresponding uncertainties are orders of magnitude smaller than the resolution of the detectors.
Isn't that putting the cart before the horse? Or are you saying uncertainties might be in play, just we can't detect them so we're not going to worry about their effects?

Carpe Physicum said:
Isn't that putting the cart before the horse? Or are you saying uncertainties might be in play, just we can't detect them so we're not going to worry about their effects?
It is like wondering how good an atomic clock is if you don't want to be late to the next meeting.

mfb said:
It is like wondering how good an atomic clock is if you don't want to be late to the next meeting.
Ooh that's a good one! :) Except that if your atomic clock, because of uncertainties, is sometimes off and your boss demands that you arrive on time to the zillionth of a second. (Where 'boss demands' = 'boss demands results that reflect what's actually going on given QM uncertainties. :) )

1. What is the purpose of LHC collisions?

The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) was built to accelerate particles to extremely high energies and collide them together. The purpose of these collisions is to recreate the conditions of the early universe and study the fundamental building blocks of matter.

2. How much energy is involved in LHC collisions?

The LHC can accelerate particles up to energies of 13 TeV (teraelectronvolts), which is equivalent to the energy of a flying mosquito. However, this energy is concentrated in a space smaller than a proton, making it the highest energy density ever achieved by humans.

3. What happens during a collision at the LHC?

When particles collide at high energies, they can create new particles and interactions that have never been observed before. These collisions also produce a large amount of data, which is then analyzed by scientists to search for new particles and understand the fundamental laws of nature.

4. How are new particles discovered at the LHC?

The LHC generates a large amount of data from collisions, which is then analyzed by scientists using sophisticated detectors. When a new particle is produced, it will leave behind a specific signature or pattern of energy in the detectors, which can be used to identify and confirm its existence.

5. What are some potential discoveries that could result from LHC collisions?

The LHC has the potential to discover new particles, such as the elusive Higgs boson, which was first observed in 2012. It could also provide evidence for dark matter, extra dimensions, and other theories that aim to explain the mysteries of the universe. Additionally, the data from LHC collisions can also help scientists to better understand the nature of matter and energy and potentially revolutionize our understanding of the universe.