Finding out % of As2O3 in a sample

• Thread starter ssb
  • Start date
In summary, the sample of bug spray was decomposed in acid, and a coulometric titration was carried out to determine the percentage of As2O3 present. After dilution and titration, the resulting calculation showed that the sample contained 4.85% As2O3.
ssb

Homework Statement

A 3.67 gram sample of bug spray was decomposed in acid. Any [tex]As^5^+[/tex] was reduced to [tex]As^3^+[/tex] and diluted to 250.0 mL in a volumetric flask. A 5.00 mL sample of this was added to 125.0 mL of 0.0500 M KI buffered to pH 7. A coulmetric titration was carried out with electrically generated [tex]I_3^-[/tex], which oxidized [tex]As^3^+[/tex] to [tex]As^5^+[/tex] according to the reaction:

[tex]As^3^+ + I_3^- ----> 3I^- + As^5^+[/tex]

The titration required 287 seconds at a constant current of 24.28 mA to reach the endpoint. Calculate the percentage of [tex]As_2O_3[/tex] (197.84 g/mol) in the bug spray.

Homework Equations

[tex]Moles Reacted = (I*t)/(nF)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]moles reacted = (.02425 amps * 287 seconds)/(2 (# electrons) * 9.6482x10^4 (Faraday constant)[/tex]

[tex]moles reacted = 3.607x10^-^5[/tex]

Question 1) Am I right to assume it is a one to one ratio of moles? or is it a one to 3 ratio? Assuming its one to one then [tex](3.607x10^-^5) * (197.84 g/mol) = 7.136x10^-^3 grams of As_2O_3[/tex]
If you divide this by the original mass [tex](7.136x10^-^3)/(3.67g)[/tex] oh and multiply by 100 to calculate percent, I come up with 0.1944%. NOW: I was able to do this with about half of the information given in the original equation. I looked at sample problems in my book and found similar calculations can be done if you are given standard potentials for half reactions. We were given none and I cannot find a standard potential for [tex]As^3^+ ----> As^5^+ + 2e^-[/tex]

Question 2) where am I going wrong here? Thank you so much whoever is able to help me tackle this homework problem

Physics news on Phys.org
Iodine works only as an intermediate in transfering charge, so you may simply assume reaction going is As3+ -> As5+ + 2e- - you know how to calculate the charge, you should be eable to calculate amount of As.

As moles number seems correct, but it is not identical to the number of moles of As2O3.

You forgot that sample was diluted and only part was titrated.

Borek said:
Iodine works only as an intermediate in transfering charge, so you may simply assume reaction going is As3+ -> As5+ + 2e- - you know how to calculate the charge, you should be eable to calculate amount of As.

As moles number seems correct, but it is not identical to the number of moles of As2O3.

You forgot that sample was diluted and only part was titrated.

[tex]moles reacted = (.02425 amps * 287 seconds)/(2 (# electrons) * 9.6482x10^4 (Faraday constant)[/tex]

Moles reacted [tex]= 3.607 x 10^{-22}[/tex]

Since its a 1 to 1 ratio of mol [tex]As^{3+}[/tex] to mol [tex]I_3[/tex] then there are also [tex]3.607 x 10^{-22}[/tex] mol of [tex]I_3[/tex]

So I will now solve for grams of [tex]As_2O_3[/tex]

Grams [tex] As_2O_3 = (3.607 x 10^{-22}/5.00 mL) * (250 mL) * (1 mol As_2O_3/2 mol As^{3+}) (197.84 grams / mol As_2O_3) = 0.178 grams[/tex]

[tex]0.178 grams / 3.67 grams (original sample size) [/tex] = .0485

.0485 (100) **percentage calculation** = 4.85%

Does this look good?

Much better now.

Related to Finding out % of As2O3 in a sample

1. What is the process for finding out the percentage of As2O3 in a sample?

The process for finding out the percentage of As2O3 in a sample involves first obtaining a representative sample of the substance. This sample is then digested, or broken down, using a suitable chemical or physical method. Next, the As2O3 is separated from other components in the sample using techniques such as filtration or chromatography. Finally, the amount of As2O3 present in the sample is determined through a quantitative analysis method, such as titration or spectrophotometry.

2. Why is it important to know the percentage of As2O3 in a sample?

Knowing the percentage of As2O3 in a sample is important for several reasons. It can help determine the purity of the substance, which is important in industries such as pharmaceuticals or food production. It can also provide information about the composition of a sample, which can be useful in identifying unknown substances. Additionally, the percentage of As2O3 can affect the properties and behavior of a substance, making it crucial to know for certain applications.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of determining the percentage of As2O3 in a sample?

The accuracy of determining the percentage of As2O3 in a sample can be affected by several factors. These include the quality and homogeneity of the sample, the precision of the analytical method used, and human error in performing the analysis. It is important to carefully control these factors to ensure accurate results.

4. Are there any safety precautions to take when working with As2O3?

Yes, there are safety precautions that should be taken when working with As2O3. This substance is toxic and can be harmful if ingested, inhaled, or absorbed through the skin. It is important to wear appropriate personal protective equipment, such as gloves and a lab coat, when handling As2O3. It is also important to work in a well-ventilated area and to properly dispose of any waste or contaminated materials.

5. Can the percentage of As2O3 in a sample change over time?

Yes, the percentage of As2O3 in a sample can change over time. This can be due to several factors, such as exposure to air, moisture, or other substances that can react with As2O3. It is important to properly store and handle samples to prevent any changes in the percentage of As2O3. Regular analysis and monitoring can also help track any changes in the percentage of As2O3 over time.