Finding Perpendicular Vectors for (1, 0, 1) - Homework Help

• Thread starter Success
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, the conversation is about finding two perpendicular vectors to (1, 0, 1) and to each other. The homework equations used were the dot product and the solution was found to be v = [0, 1, 0] and w = [-1, 0, 1]. The conversation ended with the confirmation that the answers were correct after checking them using the dot product.
Success

Homework Statement

Find two vectors v and w that are perpendicular to (1, 0, 1) and to each other.

Homework Equations

I know that to be perpendicular, the dot product must be 0. So (1, 0, 1)*(x, y, z)=x+z=0 and x=z=0, y=1, therefore, v=[0, 1, 0]. w=[-1, 0, 1].

The Attempt at a Solution

Are my answers right for v and w? Can someone right the answer for me? I just want to see how the answer looks like.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good.

Likes 1 person
Success said:

Homework Statement

Find two vectors v and w that are perpendicular to (1, 0, 1) and to each other.

Homework Equations

I know that to be perpendicular, the dot product must be 0. So (1, 0, 1)*(x, y, z)=x+z=0 and x=z=0, y=1, therefore, v=[0, 1, 0]. w=[-1, 0, 1].

The Attempt at a Solution

Are my answers right for v and w? Can someone right the answer for me? I just want to see how the answer looks like.
It's easy enough to check your answers to see if they're correct.

Is v ##\cdot## <1, 0, 1> = 0?
Is w ##\cdot## <1, 0, 1> = 0?
Is v ##\cdot## w = 0?

Likes 1 person
Thank you guys.

1. What is the definition of a perpendicular vector?

A perpendicular vector is a vector that forms a 90 degree angle with another vector in a three-dimensional space.

2. How do you find the perpendicular vector for a given vector?

To find the perpendicular vector for a given vector, you can use the cross product or dot product method. In the cross product method, you take the cross product of the given vector and any other vector in the same plane. In the dot product method, you take the dot product of the given vector and any other vector in a different plane.

3. What are the steps to find the perpendicular vector for a given vector using the cross product method?

The steps to find the perpendicular vector using the cross product method are as follows:

1. Take the cross product of the given vector and any other vector in the same plane.
  2. The resulting vector will be perpendicular to both the given vector and the vector used in the cross product.

4. How do you use the dot product method to find the perpendicular vector for a given vector?

To find the perpendicular vector using the dot product method, follow these steps:

1. Take the dot product of the given vector and any other vector in a different plane.
  2. The resulting vector will be perpendicular to the given vector and lie in the plane defined by the two vectors.

5. Can you provide an example of finding the perpendicular vector for a given vector?

Sure, let's find the perpendicular vector for the vector (1, 0, 1) using the cross product method. We can choose the vector (0, 1, 0) as our second vector. Taking the cross product, we get the vector (0, 1, 0) x (1, 0, 1) = (1, 0, -1). This vector is perpendicular to (1, 0, 1) and (0, 1, 0).