Finding poles of complex functions

In summary, finding poles of complex functions involves identifying the points where the function becomes infinite or undefined. This is done by setting the denominator of the function to zero and solving for the corresponding values of the variable. Poles can also be determined by analyzing the behavior of the function near the complex plane. These poles are important in understanding the behavior of the function and can be used to evaluate integrals and solve differential equations. Additionally, the location and multiplicity of poles can impact the convergence of series expansions and the stability of systems described by the function.
Kitten
I am trying to calculate a pole of f(z)=http://www4b.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP86721gicihdh283d613000033ch4ae4eh37cbd4?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=35&w=44.&h=40. . The answer in the textbook is:

Simple pole at http://www4f.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP2485217c56eb3b13h612000056di60dga07378cd?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=14&w=52.&h=26. and a simple pole at http://www4f.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP2292204iia97b59e96db00001591c4be13e5ge82?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=19&w=66.&h=24.

Trying to get to the same solution:

So far I have that z=±√ i

I need to find this pole in terms of z=re^iθ so I’m trying to plot this on an argand diagram but I don’t know how.

Since z=x+iy, I assumed that the real part is 0 and the imaginary part is ±1 but plotting this gives me
θ/2 and not over 4 which is required.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Complex numbers are kind of funny. What is the real part of ##(1+i)^2##?

the real part would be 0? Since (1+I)^2= 1+2i+i^2= 0+2i so the real part is 0?

Kitten said:
the real part would be 0? Since (1+I)^2= 1+2i+i^2= 0+2i so the real part is 0?

Correct. So the square root of an imaginary number can have a nonzero real part. Can you figure out any way to use this in your problem?

Note that [itex]-1=e^{i\pi}[/itex]

So poles occur when the denominator is zero: [itex]z^{4}-e^{i\pi}=0[/itex]

You say that you have [itex]z= \pm\sqrt{i}[/itex]. Surely you know that the simplest way to find square roots (or other roots) or complex numbers is to put them in polar form- if [itex]z= re^{i\theta}[/itex], then [itex]\sqrt{z}= \sqrt{r}e^{i\theta/2}[/itex]? "i" has absolute value 1 and argument [itex]\pi/2[/itex] so that [itex]i=.(1)e^{i\pi/2}[/itex]. So the square root of i is [itex]\sqrt{1}e^{i\pi/4}= e^{i\pi/4}= cos(\pi/4)+ i sin(\pi/4)= \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}(1+ i)[/itex]. Of course, we can always add [itex]2\pi[/itex] to the argument without changing the number, [itex]e^{i\pi/2}= e^{i\pi/2+ 2i\pi}= e^{3i\pi/2}[/itex], and so another square root is [itex]e^{i3\pi/4}= cos(3\pi/4)+ i sin(3\pi/4)= -\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}(1+ i)[/itex]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are poles of complex functions?

Poles of complex functions are points where the function becomes infinite or undefined. They can be thought of as singularities in the complex plane.

2. How do you find poles of a complex function?

To find poles of a complex function, you can set the denominator of the function equal to zero and solve for the variable. This will give you the values of the variable that correspond to the poles of the function.

3. What is the significance of poles in complex analysis?

Poles play a crucial role in complex analysis as they can help determine the behavior of a function near certain points. They also provide information about the convergence and analyticity of a function.

4. Can a complex function have more than one pole?

Yes, a complex function can have multiple poles. The number of poles a function has depends on the degree of the denominator polynomial in the function.

5. How do poles affect the graph of a complex function?

Poles can cause the graph of a complex function to have breaks or discontinuities at the pole points. They can also influence the shape and behavior of the function near the poles.