1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Potential (Spherical coordinates )

1. Apr 28, 2014 #1
    1. . An electric dipole located at the origin in free space has a moment p = 3ax −2ay +az nC·m. Find V at r = 2.5, θ =30◦, φ =40◦.
    I find it difficult to solve when its in spherical co-ordinates.

2.Relevent Eq
    V =P.(r-r')/( 4∏ε|r−r'|2)(|r-r'|)

I am confused how to find a unit vector on spherical co-ordinate. ie |r-r'|

This que is from william Hayt and page no 100.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2014 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

4. Apr 28, 2014 #3
    Thanks for the reply,but my que
    1)how to find unit vector in a spherical coordinate system?
    2) dipole p is in rectangular coordinate system and distancw vector is in spherical coordinate system.How do i multiply both with a dot product.?
    Haunts me.
    I spent a whole day and and went mad with vectors buzzin in my brain. I am preparing for an test this fundas are essential.please look into this

5. May 2, 2014 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can express the observation point for V in cartesian coordinates, then use just the cartesian coordinartes. The observation point is totally defined for you in spherical terms.

V = kp*r/r3

where r is the vector from the origin to the point of observation, and r its magnitude.

So you need to figure out how to express this potential in terms of your cartesian coordinate system, then do the dot-product with the dipole moment expression.

Don't try to do a dot-product in a spherical system. You have to translate to cartesian first.

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  6. May 2, 2014 #5

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Should say p = 3a i - 2a j + a k,
    ijk unit vectors

7. May 2, 2014 #6
    yes and do the dot product and expand using ##V = \frac{\vec{p} . \vec r}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 r^3}##

And for a dipole centrered at origin along z-axis for example, what can you say about azimuth dependence? Does the potential depend on ##\phi##?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted