1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Image and nullspace bases of a linear transformation

1. May 12, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let T be the linear transformation T: M2x2-->M2x2 given by

T([a,b;c,d]) = [a,b;c,d][0,0;1,1] = [b,b;d,d]

Find bases (consisting of 2x2 matrices) for the image of T and the nullspace of T.

2. Relevant equations

Standard basis of a 2x2 matrix: {[1,0;0,0],[0,1;0,0],[0,0;1,0],[0,0;0,1]}

rank(T) + nullity (T) = n (number of columns of T)

3. The attempt at a solution

I multiplied the elements of the standard basis by T to find the image points of the transformation. I then put those image points in the form [a,b;c,d] in a matrix, which equalled the matrix T relative to the standard basis S:

[T]S=[0,0,0,0;0,1,0,0;0,0,0,1;0,0,0,0]

To find a basis for the image, I took the columns with leading entries, but I'm not completely sure it's correct:

basis: {[0,1;0,0],[0,0;1,0]}

As for the basis for the nullspace, wouldn't it just be {0} because there is only one solution to the system of equations (i.e. they are linearly independent)? Or is it [0,0;0,0]? However, rank + nullity = 4 and (assuming I got the basis for the image right) rank = 2, so nullity should = 2. Does the nullity of a 2x2 matrix = 2?

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2010 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

woops looked at it again - ok, so
    [tex] \begin{pmatrix} a & b \\ c & d \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} 0 & 0 \\ 1 & 1 \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} b & b\\ d & d \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

as you have sort of done, you can imagine the matricies as vectors in [tex] \mathbb{R}^4 [/tex]

if should be clear that any matrix with b=d=0, will be mapped to the zero matrix, giving the null space

if either b or d is non-zero, then the resultant transformation will be non-zero, giving the basis of vectors that will be mapped to non-zero vectors. input these individulaly to find a basis for the image space... (i think the one you presented is incorrect)

Last edited: May 13, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook