1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding rate of relativistic work, special relativity.

1. May 4, 2012 #1
    Hello all,
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given [tex] \frac{dE}{dt}=\frac{d(m(u))}{dt}\cdot u[/tex]
    show that [tex] \frac{dE}{dt}=\frac{m_0}{(1-u^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}}u\frac{du}{dt} [/tex]
    where u is velocity, m(u) is relativistic mass, and [itex] m_0 [/itex] is rest mass.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex] m(u)=\frac{m_0}{\sqrt{1-u^2}}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Substituting in m(u) gives [tex] \frac{dE}{dt} = \frac{d}{dt}(\frac{m_0}{\sqrt{1-u^2}})\cdot u [/tex]
    Using the chain rule
    [tex] = \frac{d}{du}(\frac{m_0}{\sqrt{1-u^2}})\frac{du}{dt}\cdot u [/tex]
    [tex] = \frac{m_0 u}{(1-u^2)^{3/2}}\frac{du}{dt} \cdot u [/tex]
    From here I get into trouble. My first thought was since u should be parallel to [itex] \frac{du}{dt} [/itex] the dot product just becomes multiplication, but then there's an extra u factor. Any help from here would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2012 #2
    The problem statement is ambiguous. The quantity in parenthesis should be written as mu, and not m(u). More precisely, it should be moγu.

4. May 4, 2012 #3
    I don't think the relativistic mass should be a vector, so that dot must be just an ordinary product between two scalars. I do agree that the problem seems a little strange.

5. May 6, 2012 #4
    That makes much more sense, thanks for the help guys

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook