Finding Superbradyons with fast computers

• Thread starter Blam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computers
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of faster-than-light travel and the limitations of current technology, including supercomputers and quantum computing. The concept of mass and its relation to speed is also mentioned. The speaker acknowledges the ambiguity of the topic and the limitations imposed by the speed of light.
Blam
I was scanning Wikipedia recently looking for a real mass particle smaller then a photon for faster then photon travel or FTL.
I found this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superbradyon
but would not be possible to tangebly see without PetaFLOP computers or something faster then that? Would we then have something faster then the current perception of the speed of light?

I still have to study Quantum Computing too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
The fastest supercomputer right now is the IBM Blue Gene/L, at 280.6 Tera FLOPS (not a single peta). It's a parallel computer so no single unit has a clock faster than the speed of light as you're probably aware. In terms of perception, it's a hard case to make. Computations don't have physical existence and they are not particularly tied to any single physical system, so i don't think we can draw conclusions from them. A supercomputer such as blue gene won't be able to provide any outstanding sensory stimulus either. For example, if it were acting as a gigantic graphics card, then it wouldn't be able to draw two consecutive frames on a screen faster that the speed of light (the signal still has to travel to the screen and this can't be faster than the speed of light, even if there was a processor per pixel).

I see but I do think a computer is physical as you said where computations equal physical connections in RAM etc. so there is a limit to how 'fast' it can process information if say, even in Quantum Computing environments, where photons are used as a circuit board. So the law of relativity is something like no matter how much of a certain mass I use I can't go faster then the original mass because all that mass is set at a certain speed,. so no matter how many Quantum Computers I use I can't manage something like a Tachyon and go faster then a photon. Darn.
Oh well we'll have to figure out how to manage it someday but we would have to discover things in nature smaller than a photon first which might be impossible with our bodily makeup; but I can imagine traveling that fast at least.

The whole thing is a little ambiguous i think. Theoretically there isn't a limit to how many computations you can perform in a given time unit. If you have enough processors, you can do as many as you like. I think what is relevant is how fast you can perform a single computation, and that is certainly limited by relativity since the signals traveling in the circuit (even if it's an optical computer) can't go faster than the speed of light. So in theory you can't perform a single computation faster than light can propagate from one end of the circuit to another, though you can make it faster by making the chip impossibly small. Given this limit on a single computation you can also apply it to multiple computations.

Last edited:

1. What are Superbradyons?

Superbradyons are hypothetical particles that travel faster than the speed of light. They are predicted by certain theories, such as string theory, but have not yet been observed or proven to exist.

2. How do fast computers help in finding Superbradyons?

Finding Superbradyons would require complex calculations and simulations, which can be done much faster and more accurately with the use of fast computers. These computers can handle large amounts of data and perform calculations at a much faster rate than traditional methods, making them essential in the search for Superbradyons.

3. What techniques are used to detect Superbradyons?

One technique that is often used is analyzing data from particle accelerators, looking for anomalies or unexpected particles that could potentially be Superbradyons. Another method is using computer simulations to predict the behavior and interactions of Superbradyons in different scenarios.

4. How close are we to finding Superbradyons?

As of now, there is no definitive evidence for the existence of Superbradyons. Scientists are constantly researching and conducting experiments in hopes of finding them, but it may still be some time before we have concrete proof of their existence.

5. What are the potential implications of finding Superbradyons?

If Superbradyons are proven to exist, it would have a significant impact on our current understanding of physics and the laws of the universe. It could also potentially lead to advancements in technology, such as faster-than-light travel. However, further research and testing would be needed to fully understand the implications of their existence.