Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Superbradyons with fast computers

1. Dec 8, 2005 #1
    I was scanning Wikipedia recently looking for a real mass particle smaller then a photon for faster then photon travel or FTL.
    I found this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superbradyon
    but would not be possible to tangebly see without PetaFLOP computers or something faster then that? Would we then have something faster then the current perception of the speed of light?

I still have to study Quantum Computing too.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2005 #2

-Job-

Science Advisor

The fastest supercomputer right now is the IBM Blue Gene/L, at 280.6 Tera FLOPS (not a single peta). It's a parallel computer so no single unit has a clock faster than the speed of light as you're probably aware. In terms of perception, it's a hard case to make. Computations don't have physical existence and they are not particularly tied to any single physical system, so i don't think we can draw conclusions from them. A supercomputer such as blue gene won't be able to provide any outstanding sensory stimulus either. For example, if it were acting as a gigantic graphics card, then it wouldn't be able to draw two consecutive frames on a screen faster that the speed of light (the signal still has to travel to the screen and this can't be faster than the speed of light, even if there was a processor per pixel).

4. Dec 9, 2005 #3
    I see but I do think a computer is physical as you said where computations equal physical connections in RAM etc. so there is a limit to how 'fast' it can process information if say, even in Quantum Computing environments, where photons are used as a circuit board. So the law of relativity is something like no matter how much of a certain mass I use I can't go faster then the original mass because all that mass is set at a certain speed,. so no matter how many Quantum Computers I use I can't manage something like a Tachyon and go faster then a photon. Darn.
    Oh well we'll have to figure out how to manage it someday but we would have to discover things in nature smaller than a photon first which might be impossible with our bodily makeup; but I can imagine traveling that fast at least.

5. Dec 10, 2005 #4

-Job-

Science Advisor

The whole thing is a little ambiguous i think. Theoretically there isn't a limit to how many computations you can perform in a given time unit. If you have enough processors, you can do as many as you like. I think what is relevant is how fast you can perform a single computation, and that is certainly limited by relativity since the signals traveling in the circuit (even if it's an optical computer) can't go faster than the speed of light. So in theory you can't perform a single computation faster than light can propagate from one end of the circuit to another, though you can make it faster by making the chip impossibly small. Given this limit on a single computation you can also apply it to multiple computations.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?