Finding Surface area of a Parametric Curve

In summary, the task is to find the surface area of a parametric curve which is rotated about y=2. The equations of the curve are x = 1-sint and y = 2+cost. The correct formula for surface area is 2(pi)^2 and the interval is t between (-pi/2, pi/2). However, using the formula and interval given, the answer is not correct and it is suggested that the formula may be incorrect.
trap
Can someone please help me with this question?

x = 1-sint, y = 2+cost, rotate about y = 2

Find the surface area of the parametric curve.

I don't know how to do it with y=2, I only know how if the question askes for rotating about the x-axis.
The answer to the question is 2(pi)^2.

Physics news on Phys.org
trap said:
Can someone please help me with this question?

x = 1-sint, y = 2+cost, rotate about y = 2

Find the surface area of the parametric curve.

I don't know how to do it with y=2, I only know how if the question askes for rotating about the x-axis.
The answer to the question is 2(pi)^2.

Since you are rotating about y=2, that makes each of your y-values 2 less, so the equations become:

x = 1 - sin(t)
y = cos(t)

Now I think you can do the rest:

[tex]\text{SA}=2\pi\int_{0}^{2\pi}y\,\sqrt{\left(\frac{dx}{dt}\right)^2+\left(\frac{dx}{dt}\right)^2}\, dt[/tex]

Last edited:
I forgot to mention that the interval is t between (-pi/2, pi/2), how do i get the answer 2pi^2 with

[tex]\text{SA}=2\pi\int_{-\pi/2}^{\pi/2}y\,\sqrt{\left(\frac{ dx}{dt}\right)^2+\left(\frac{dx}{dt}\right)^2}\, dt[/tex] ??

so i have... dx = -cost
dy = -sint

here's what I've done..but couldn't get the answer

[tex]\text{SA}=2\pi\int_{-\pi/2}^{\pi/2}y\,\sqrt{(sint)^2+(cost)^2}\, dt[/tex]

[tex] =2\pi\int_{-\pi/2}^{\pi/2}y\,\sqrt{1}\, dt[/tex]

[tex] =2\pi\int_{-\pi/2}^{\pi/2}cost\, dt[/tex]

[tex] =2\pi\sin(\pi/2) - 2\pi\sin(-\pi/2)[/tex]

[tex] =4\pi[/tex]

Last edited:
but i got the formula of surface area from my textbook, which is,

[tex]\text{SA}=2\pi\int_{}^{}y\,\sqrt{\left(\frac{ dx}{dt}\right)^2+\left(\frac{dx}{dt}\right)^2}\, dt[/tex]

trap said:
but i got the formula of surface area from my textbook, which is,

[tex]\text{SA}=2\pi\int_{}^{}y\,\sqrt{\left(\frac{ dx}{dt}\right)^2+\left(\frac{dx}{dt}\right)^2}\, dt[/tex]

Yes, right. I fixed it sorry about that. Anyways, using this you should come up with your answer (I myself am coming up with -4π). Are you sure it's 2π2?

The only way I get 2π2 is by the following:

[tex]2\pi\int_{\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\frac{3\pi}{2}}\cos^2{t}\,dt[/tex]

...but you clearly don't have a cos2(t)...

Last edited:
yes..the answer is supposed to be 2pi^2, unless it is a typo in the textbook

trap said:
yes..the answer is supposed to be 2pi^2, unless it is a typo in the textbook

It happens but I doubt that. Does anyone have any ideas why the work above isn't giving the correct answer?

i think you were suppose to multiplied by x(t) not y(t)

Related to Finding Surface area of a Parametric Curve

What is a parametric curve and what is its importance in finding surface area?

A parametric curve is a type of mathematical curve that is defined by a set of equations in terms of a parameter. These equations allow for the curve to be expressed in terms of the independent variable, making it easier to analyze and calculate its properties, such as surface area.

What is the formula for finding the surface area of a parametric curve?

The formula for finding the surface area of a parametric curve is given by the integral of the square root of the sum of the squares of the derivatives of the parametric equations, multiplied by the length of the curve. This can be expressed as:
∫ √(x'(t)^2 + y'(t)^2 + z'(t)^2) * dt

Can the surface area of a parametric curve be negative?

No, the surface area of a parametric curve cannot be negative. This is because surface area is a measure of the physical extent of an object, and it cannot have a negative value. If the result of the calculation is negative, it means that there was an error in the calculation or the parametric equations were not properly defined.

What are some common ways to find the parametric equations of a curve?

There are several common methods for finding the parametric equations of a curve, such as:

• Eliminating the parameter from the equations of the curve
  • Using equations of known curves, such as circles or ellipses, and manipulating them to fit the desired curve
  • Using trigonometric functions to create parametric equations
  • Using a computer program or graphing calculator to plot points and determine the equations

Are there any limitations or restrictions when using parametric equations to find surface area?

Yes, there are some limitations and restrictions when using parametric equations to find surface area. These include:

• The parametric equations must be well-defined and continuous on the interval of interest
  • The curve must have a finite length
  • The curve must not intersect itself
  • The curve must not have any sharp corners or cusps