Finding the amount of heat required to double volume?

  • Thread starter Thread starter charmedbeauty
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Heat Volume
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
charmedbeauty
Messages
266
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



In an experiment, 1.35 mol of oxygen (02) are heated at constant pressure starting at 11.0°C. How much heat must be added to the gas to double its volume? You may assume without proof, that the molar specific heats are cp=7R/2 and cv=5R/2.



Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



My working so far...

Q=nCpΔT

Q=n(7R/2)ΔT

Q= 1.35(7R/2)(s-11) -----> where s= Tf

But I need some equation linking change in volume to this...

ie Q= -PΔV

But I don't Know what P is?

Perhaps I need something with ΔEint but I am not to sure.
I was thinking I will need to solve the first equation simultaneously with one with ΔV

I'm stuck as to where to go from here??

Please help any advice is greatly noted.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Use the ideal gas law followed by a conservation of mass.